Leveling an out-building

Old 08-24-04, 05:01 PM
plainsman
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb Leveling an out-building

I have an 18' x 26' x 10' high steel building that sits on concrete blocks. When the building was installed, it was just set on the blocks to keep it off the ground. It slopes downhill from back to front. I would like to level it if I can.

I'm looking for ideas for doing the leveling. If you have one, feel free to share it.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-04, 05:25 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Posts and beams and jacks -- get the thing lifted to level, then put a proper foundation under it.

You didn't say where you are, but in most jurisdictions, a shed this size (over 120 sq. ft.) would need a bldg. permit, and the inspector would have never let it fly by just setting it on blocks.

Old 08-27-04, 08:57 AM
plainsman
Visiting Guest
Thanks, Lefty

I'm in "rural" Kansas, southwest of KC. I'm sure you're probably correct about the inspection, but when this was erected, that function was apparently still a little "primitive". Suffice to say, the building is sitting there and it "ain't level".

I understand the "jack" suggestion, but I'm not sure about the "post and beam" suggestion. Can you elucidate?

Thanks.

Kurt (plainsman)

Old 08-27-04, 05:53 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kurt,

To get the building up to level, you'll have to get under it at the low end, put a beam under the floor joists (probably several beams in several spots) and use the bottle jacks to raise it to level. You want to raise it as evenly as possible so you don't tear the bldg. apart. Once you have it level, put some sort of a foundation under it that will support it and KEEP it level. What you use for the foundation might be a perimeter stem wall (IF you can attach the floor joiists to that) or maybe just a series of pier blocks set in wet concrete that support the joists.

There are several thousand square miles of Kansas that are "SW of KC" -- I doubt that a bldg. inspector is much of a concern!!

Old 08-28-04, 10:38 AM
plainsman
Visiting Guest
Lefty

Thanks for your response. I appreciate it very much.

FYI - this building has no floor joists. Think of it as a rectangular metal box with only five sides. The missing side is the "floor" which is gravel. The walls sit on the concrete blocks around the sides. The "front" wall has an overhead door in it. That's the only access to the interior.

I'm guessing that I'm going to have to raise the lower corners and sides very slowly while inserting some sort of support wedging as I go. The problem I'm having right now is how do I get things started. I haven't figured out a way to get a jack under the walls to start lifting.

The thought just occurred to me that I could dig out four spots under the lower wall framework - one on each side wall toward the low end and one on each side of the door (on the front wall). That way, I could plant a bottle jack in each hole and begin lifting. I think that once I get it started and I get a little space under the lower framework, it ought to go pretty well as long as I keep the stress equal on all sides. Otherwise, I can visualize some pretty good wrinkles in the steel siding.

Whaddaya think?

Last edited by plainsman; 08-28-04 at 10:49 AM.