plan for 12x24 floor?

Old 09-08-04, 12:06 PM
sbrookeinmd
Visiting Guest
plan for 12x24 floor?

Anyone have a diagram or a plan for a 12x24 floor? Can I just use 12' 2x6? How do I cap the long sides? Double up and offset 8' sections?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-04, 09:38 PM
sbrookeinmd,

Welcome to DoItYourself.com.

Sorry, I can't answer your question. If I were building a 12 X 24 shed, it would HAVE to be done with a bldg. permit, and the floor would have to be whatever the local bldg. dept. would require and approve.

Old 09-10-04, 06:23 PM
if you are building without permits or in an area where permits arent required then my old UBC book lists a 2by8 16" o.c. will span 12' depending on wood type. Doug fir, southern pine will span slightly further, Redwood slightly less. This is clear span, so if you are putting a beam down the center (I would) and you have a 6' span then a 2by6 will more than do @ 2' o.c. This is min. code requirements (i.e. my house which after 20 years still feels solid) for a 40 live load floor. It is cheaper to pour a concrete pad and no termite problems. You can use 2- 12' lengths for your rim joist and do a little blocking where they meet. Double them and they will be stronger and better for 2 by 6 studs but a single is enough for a 2by4 studded wall. This IS a shed, work space not living space right? You need a perimeter foundation and crawl space otherwise latter your up the creek. Good luck