Base for 16' x 12' Shed

Old 09-16-04, 12:52 PM
ukchris
Visiting Guest
Base for 16' x 12' Shed

I am planning to build a 16' x 12' shed on a slight slope. I'm deliberating over the best way to construct the base and would rather not pour any concrete.

I am thinking of building a base out of 4"x6" pressure treated lumber and adding joists across to support the floor, maybe all with 4" x 6"'s depending on the cost. I want the floor to be strong enough to support a small lawn tractor later.

How strong should I make it? It 4" x 6"'s around the perimiter and maybe two or three across the width I'd think it would have plenty of support, I could then use joist hangers to fill it out. If I then stand all of this on blocks (12?) should I use pavers, concrete blocks or look for some form of pier supports? Do any of the DIY chains stock blocks designed for this, Home Depot, Lowes etc?

Thanks in advance for any guidance. I have a permit for this but they really didn't seem to care about how it was constructed, only about where it is located.

Chris.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-04, 01:59 PM
ukchris
Visiting Guest
Are attachments not permitted? I was going to add a diagram to try nd illustrate my plan. It basically has 4x6 treated lumber running lenghth-ways, four runs (4' apart) the similar 4x6 running width-ways every 4 feet with something like a cinderblock at each intersection. This would give me 12 4x4 squares and lends itself neatly to 4x8 sheets of tongue and groove flooring.

Chris.