Shed with Gambrel Roof Rafters or Trusses?

Old 11-21-04, 01:50 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shed with Gambrel Roof Rafters or Trusses?

Hi,
I am a very amateur builder. I would like to build a storage shed with a gambrel roof similar in shape to my home. The second floor of my home is, with exception of the gable end walls, constructed using trusses under the floor, above the ceiling and on the roof walls.
I would like to make storage available above the ceiling in the shed, but do not quite under stand how to build a storage truss on such a small scale for a 12' x 16' building. A contractor-friend suggested building it with rafters, but I don't understand how to provide for storage using rafters in a gambrel shape and still have enough strength to support the roof itself.
Does anyone out there know where I could look at pictures or renderings of gambrel storage shaped trusses or rafter designs? I would like to build them with 2" x 4"s and either set them atop the wall plate or block in between them.
Thanks for your time and consideration!

Old 11-21-04, 05:37 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Start with your local bldg. dept. At 12' X16', you MAY need a permit for the shed. (It's over 120 sq. ft., and it depends on your local jurisdiction.) Assuming that you need to pull a permit for the shed (I would have to), you'll probably be required to use engineered trusses. In that case, discuss the storage issue with the truss engineer, and it can be worked in.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: