coservatory add-on

Old 12-21-04, 02:11 PM
Black1993
Visiting Guest
coservatory add-on

My husband and I were thinking of expanding out our kitchen and adding a conservatory. We received an estimate from Four Seasons of $27,000. The area is 7 1/2 feet out by 13 feet. I have an existing wall on the left side.\ which means the extension would be three glass walls. They would take out the back wall with the window and back door, extend my base-board heat, add six electrical outlets sheetrock the left wall and vent out my dryer which is in the basement. There is an existing deck which they will build the conservatory on. We live in New Jersey. The price of $27,000 does not include the new kitchen floor. After reading the community forums and seeing such issues as leaks, condensation, heat loss, etc., I am now rethinking this conservatory. I don't know if I am better off pushing out the kitchen with a regular addition even though I love the conservatory idea. Can anyone give any advise?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-04, 04:45 AM
First question you need to ask is 'does this room meet energy standards so that it can be used as a conditioned (heated and cooled) space?' Some rooms of this tyle do, some don't. Ask to see the engineering cut sheets and read them carefully.

Leaks are usually the result of poor workmanship by the installing crew, and if you have leaks, they usually result in condensation problems as well. Ask to be shown other rooms like this that the installing crew has done (go see the room, NOT just be shown pictures!!) Now is the perfect time of the year for that -- if one of their previous rooms has leak problems, now is when they show up. Talk to the owners of those rooms.

Old 01-30-05, 10:47 PM
conservatory

It is a question also of where do you live?? Is winter heat a problem?? Maybe not. Is glass your only option? Vinyl lends very nicely to these things and comes in every shade and color and style you can think of. I built a greenhouse at home here where it gets to -35 sometimes and its standing up wonderfully even with two feet of snow on it. My cost for 9 by 20 (feet) was 1700 for the vinyl 2100 for the aluminum frame 300 for vinyl glueing (comes in 6 foot widths.) Has fibreglass re-inforced thread through it in 3/4 inch squares. It come clear or reinforced --is very thick and flexible. Might be an option if you can lock the door between that and the kitchen. I can send you pics and probably get you a web site if you wish--let me know

S/T

Old 01-30-05, 10:49 PM
vinyl stuff

we did the building and welding our selves, so labor was not an issue for me.

S/T

Old 02-08-05, 10:02 AM
Evaluating Greenhouse types...

Originally Posted by supertech
...I built a greenhouse at home here where it gets to -35 sometimes and its standing up wonderfully even with two feet of snow on it. My cost for 9 by 20 (feet) was 1700 for the vinyl 2100 for the aluminum frame 300 for vinyl glueing (comes in 6 foot widths.) Has fibreglass re-inforced thread through it in 3/4 inch squares. It come clear or reinforced --is very thick and flexible. Might be an option if you can lock the door between that and the kitchen. I can send you pics and probably get you a web site if you wish--let me know

S/T
I would like to hear more about your experiences. How much does it cost to heat? What type of heating do you have? What about summer cooling? How long have you had the greenhouse up and running? How is it oriented? What is the floor made of? How is it attached to the ground?

Also can you include the web site for materials?
Thanks!