Solar Screens

Old 01-24-05, 09:29 PM
SunnyL
Visiting Guest
Solar Screens

I am adding solar screens to our sunroom which has 4 patio doors facing west and 2 facing south and the heat in the summer is a problem.

I can't decide if I would be better to have a solar screen made the exact size of the patio door and leave it in place all summer or if I would be better off getting a roller solar screen made so I can lift it up out of the way in the evening and drop it down during the heat of the day?

Would leaving the solar screen up all winter afford me any added R value to my windows??

Thank you for any suggestions you have!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-05, 06:19 PM
If these patio doors are dual pane, you could have the glass IG units replaced with IG units with LowE or LowE squared IG units. That would reduce the solar heat gain in the summer and decrease the U-factor (raise the "R" value) for you in the winter.

Solar screens work well on windows, where you can screen both the movable and stationary pane. But on sliders, you need the movable side to open (so you can walk through it) and the stationary half to remain stationary. That could only be accomplished if you were to mount the stationary side out a bit so the movable screen would slide inside it, much like forming a pocket door.