Is all glass sun room in No. Cal a mistake?

Old 02-01-05, 01:34 PM
Triqusy3
Visiting Guest
Is all glass sun room in No. Cal a mistake?

Hello, I am interested in adding a 12 out by 25 across sunroom (3 walls with the 4 being our house). I live in the Sacramento area of Northern California. Summers reach a dry upper 90s-low 100s. I have s/w one contractor so far. He stated that his company does not install glass roof sunrooms despite the fact that the manufacturer they work with does make them. His reason for this was that one, they get too hot and two, the curved glass which makes up the outer edge of the roof line degrades because it is not true glass and will become cloudy. I can understand the logic of the latter but I drive by restaurants who have this curved glass and do not see such degradation. I am not too concerned about the heat factor because the sunroom will be northern facing with the sun crossing its east/west path entirely in front of our house. The back patio area gets shade early and is probably half shade by noon (my husband thinks this is not really the issue stating that the outside temp of 100 degrees alone will make the room exceptionally hot. I really want all glass because I want the area to feel outsideish, you know, stars at night and all that. I would appreciate any knowledge or comments on personal experience in these areas. Thanks much.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-05, 04:17 AM
The 1st part that the contractor told you is true -- the more glass you put in the roof, the hotter the room will get. Being on the north side of the house will reduce the heat build up, but you will still get more than you would in a room with a shed roof on it and no glass in the roof.

Sunrooms, with the curved glass roof above the outer wall, can be had 2 ways. One uses lexan in the curve, and the other uses tempered or laminated glass. The lexan will cloud up if you don't clean it regularly (i.e. weekly). What you are seeing in restaurants is glass.

You have several hundred contractors in your area who build patio and sunrooms. If you need a referral, send me a PM or an e-mail.