Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Greenhouses, Sheds and Sun Rooms
Reload this Page >

Roofing structure suggestions for a screen porch

Old 06-09-05, 10:31 AM
frazzled
Visiting Guest

As you might notice I live up to my nick I am using here!

We are doing a DYI/contractor involved job of replacing and expanding a screen porch. The previous screened in area was 12x12 and is now growing to 12x28.

Needless to say the question of the roofing structure has created enough chaos and frustration none of us (hubby, contractor nor myself) can speak without growling at each other.

The debate is to go with a gable style roof and tie into the house roof or to use a shed style roof and again tie into the house roof.

We live in the southeastern US so little to no snow so weight is a very small issue. The main issue is which for this size would be the best.

Any suggestion or information would be Greatly appreciated.

Signed,
Frazzled

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-05, 10:00 AM
kurt jordan
Visiting Guest
Screen porch

Try looking into mosquito curtains. Google "screen porch mosquito netting"
This may solve your problem another way.

Kurt

Old 07-31-05, 07:36 PM
Group Moderator
You could also consider modular roof panels. 3 or 4" foam filled panels that have an anodized aluminum skin. They are 4' wide and can be ordered in almost any length. They can usually be attached to the fascia when installed in areas with no or minimal snow loads, because they only need a minimal slope. Talk to a patio enclosure retailer or full service glass company for more details.