Old World style and shed

Old 06-17-05, 11:11 PM
Old World style and shed

My dad has a 3300 sq ft old world style home in an acerage neighborhood. He wants to build a shed to store a riding mower and some other tools, but the neighborhood association doesn't allow sheds.

I've noticed that some of the neighbors have had a separate garage built next to their homes when they had their homes built; however, these homes are well over 3,300 sq ft. A separate garage would look funny on my father's property because there would be no driveway extending from it and it would look fairly large in comparision to the house.

I'm actually still considering building a small one car garage in the backyard.
The exterior walls will be covered with brick and the corners will be covered with stone just as the house is. I'm assuming a window would be required in order to keep it from standing out as a windowless building.

My dad knows how to build but I'm helping him out due to his physical health.

Anybody have any suggestions on how to tastefully incorporate a shed into this type of home?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-05, 05:24 PM
If your father lives in a restricted neighborhood, there is nothing you can do without the approval of the 'neighborhood committee.' In a previous life I lived in such a community and sat on such a committee. Read the fine print on your deed and community contract. You can not get around any limits of these contracts. If you want to incorporate a lawn mower shed into the home, these plans will have to go before the committee. If you need legal advice, then you need to be in touch with an attorney. You need to read the fine print on the contracts that your dad signed in this restricted community. These restricted communities tend to be very strict. If you want to change how your community is run, then you need to become pro-active and get on the community organization board.

Make note that everything in such a community must be architecturally in sync and nothing outlandish or below the expectations of an architectural committee. If you have a plan that will blend in with neighborhood architecture and your structure, then there should be no fuss.

Old 06-20-05, 02:01 PM
Thats what I'm trying to achieve. I was just lookin for suggestions on designs.

The restrictions in the neighborhood are not very strict. We would like to see the rules enforced but we haven't yet found a way to enforce them. A couple of builders have had homes built without any regard to the rules and they have been banned from buying anymore lots. It didn't matter because all the lots have homes already built on them anyway.