Building a Greenhouse

Old 06-04-00, 06:23 PM
Visiting Guest
I have been trying to decide on whether to build a greenhouse using plastic on the outside. I have seen them around here in Nashville, Tn. Is the plastic better than glass. I realize the cost is considerably less than using glass. What kind of plants would be the best to plant in this greenhouse and are there plans out there to build one?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-00, 11:08 PM
Visiting Guest
I have seen plans and/or kits advertised in gardening and home impovement magazines. Might also search the gardening sites on the 'net. What type of plastic are you referring to? Somthing like a 6 mil viscolene, or are you thinking in terms of 1/8" plexiglass?

Old 06-24-00, 12:44 PM
Visiting Guest
Check with your local county extension service and public library. Also, you might try looking at a local storage building display for ideas. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by [email protected]:
I have been trying to decide on whether to build a greenhouse using plastic on the outside. I have seen them around here in Nashville, Tn. Is the plastic better than glass. I realize the cost is considerably less than using glass. What kind of plants would be the best to plant in this greenhouse and are there plans out there to build one?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 07-04-00, 04:38 AM
Visiting Guest
Wink

Consider weight, initial cost, replacement cost, breakage, storm damage, etc. As a commercial grower I can tell you that a double layer of greenhouse grade plastic works just fine for all types of plants. Your biggest limitation is going to be size. The smaller the greenhouse the faster it heats up. Ventilation, cooling, heating, etc.are vital concerns for yours plants. Check Sunset and Ortho Greenhouse books and also your local library for plans and cultural advice.