Hot Tub Enclosures

Old 09-12-00, 08:37 PM
Visiting Guest
Talking

I am interested in building a hot tub enclosure in the corner of my yard where a new fence was just built. I plan to put in an additional 4X4 post and utilize the two corner fence bays as two sides. I would like the two new sides to open by either using bi-fold type doors. There is an existing cement platform already on the ground.I am uncertain what roof treatment to use, any ideas? The fence existing is a 6' solid redwood with 1' of jumbo lattice.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-00, 10:55 PM
Visiting Guest
Wood fences were never intended to be used as a roof support. These fences (at least in No. CA) have a useful life of about 10 to 15 years, then they come crashing down in the first wind over 40 MPH. Are you SURE you want to put a $2,000 to $4,000 hot tub under a roof supported by one?

Old 09-27-00, 01:30 PM
Visiting Guest
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lefty:
Wood fences were never intended to be used as a roof support. These fences (at least in No. CA) have a useful life of about 10 to 15 years, then they come crashing down in the first wind over 40 MPH. Are you SURE you want to put a $2,000 to $4,000 hot tub under a roof supported by one?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Since it is outside, I assume you just want privacy. How about bamboo over a light weight roof frame. (and yes, it may blow away in a high wind, but it's cheap and easily replaceable). The framework need not be heavy. Even PVC pipe could be used. If you are in a rough climate, you can remove the bamboo in the winter and replace it in the summer. I'd go for it.....