sunroom roof repairs

Old 11-16-00, 03:11 PM
Visiting Guest
A year ago we moved into a house with sunroom. New Experience for us. Very pleasant room but the roof leaks. Where the water is coming out does not appear to be where the water is coming in. The roof is made of 4' x 10' panels (apprx) held together by metal(allum?) girding. Panel are solid not clear and are about 2.5 to 3 inches thick. Caulking obvious cracks has done no good. In an all day soft rain we may collect a 2 gallon bucket full of water. In hard rain even more. We suspect the rain is collecting somewhere and then running in. In light rain we may only get a few drops. Any ideas on finding/stopping it? All suggestions appreciated!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-00, 08:36 PM
Visiting Guest
If I'm following you here, this sounds like a Texas Aluminum (or similar) room. You have roof panels that are 3" thick (aluminum skin top and bottom and foam filled) with aluminum purlins between the panels. The purlins are resting in a ledger that is attached to a wall, extend straight for about 9 or 10 feet, then have about a 90 degree curve and rest on a plate that sits in the outside wall. (How am I doing here?) If you are collecting a gallon or two of water in a soft rain, you are probably seeing it come in in the area of the transition from the roof panels to the curved glass (or lexan) portion of the room (Am I OK so far?), about where the curve of the purlins begins. If I have pretty much described your room and where the leaks are showing up, repost, and I will tell you where to caulk to cure the problem.

Old 11-19-00, 09:54 AM
Visiting Guest
You've described it perfectly. So,where do we caulk? And Thanks.

Old 11-19-00, 05:22 PM
Visiting Guest
First, caulk the entire length of the joint where the purlin cover meets the roof panel. Then caulk the joint where the roof panel goes into the transition extrusion. (The glass or lexan of the curve goes into the other side of this extrusion.) Also, if you have any screws in the top of that extrusion, make sure the screw heads are covered with caulking. And, if it isn't already, flash over the ledger that is attached to the wall. Extend that flashing 8" to 12" down the roof of the sunroom, put a bead of polyurethane between the flashing and the roof panel, secure the flashing to the roof panel with 1/2" long sheet metal screws, then cover the joint you just formed AND THE SCREW HEADS with polyurethane. That should cure your leaks. I just hope that whoever erected this room put a bead of urethane on the ends of the roof panels BEFORE the transition extrusions were attached. Before you start any of this, check your local weather report. Not only does the roof have to be dry before you start, it needs to remain dry for at least 24 hours after you finish. If you still have leaks after all of this, repost or e-mail me directly and we'll go from there. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cherzig:
You've described it perfectly. So,where do we caulk? And Thanks.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>