How much will an aluminum sunroom roof hold?

Old 11-04-05, 08:08 AM
Buz
Visiting Guest
How much will an aluminum sunroom roof hold?

I need to caulk the glass in my sunroom. How do you go about this? Will the frame hold a big man? Do you span the frames with a 2x10 or such? I'm worried that I'll cause more problems than solve. I'd just call someone to do this, but don't want to spend the $ if possible.

Thanks in advance for your knowledge.

Buz

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-05, 08:34 AM
Buz, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
I would use the board across the frame for safety and to prevent bending the aluminum. You want to spread out the weight evenly. Make sure the board cannot slide off the roof with you on it. Good luck.

Old 11-08-05, 03:38 PM
And it all depends on the sunroom that you are dealing with as to whether or not it will support you.

Rather than using a 2X10 or 2X12 alone, I would suggest using a couple that are spread 3' apart and then laying a sheet of plywood over them. (Like majakdragon said, make SURE that whatever you use is not going to slide off of the roof.)

And there are rooms out there that will support you and several of your closest friends all by themselves. (Mine would, does, and has. There were 3 of us on the roof at the same time when we were originally building it. It's only 10' X 12'.)