Help with Sun Room parts

Old 12-24-05, 12:15 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help with Sun Room parts

I have some large insulated glass panels that were intended as replacements for patio doors that I got in an auction many years ago. I want to use thes to build a sun room but cant get the framing material I want. I wanted to use the extruded aluminum/vinyl mullions like many of the commercial units are made from but cannot find the material for DIY use. Everyone I have contacted wants to either sell me a kit or send a crew around to build it for me.

Souces for this type of constuction material would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-26-05, 03:51 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
JimmieDee,

You won't, to the best of my knowledge, find aluminum extrusions that will allow you to build a sunroom or patio room with sliding glass door panes.

There are several reasons why you won't find it.

First, to qualify as 'non-conditioned space', these rooms have to be 65% open along the longest wall and on one adjacent wall. That means the glass window panes have to be removable. If the glass isn't removable like that, then you get into 'conditioned space', which means you need to heat and cool the room, and that much glass will not meet energy standards. The mfgrs. of these rooms go to great lengths to have their rooms meet one standard or the other. What you are proposing won't meet either. Whether you choose to or not, the mfgrs. HAVE to conform to building codes.

Also, glass panels for sliders fall into one of two categories. They are either single pane, or they are dual (or more) pane. There is an issue with the thickness of the panels. A mfgr. of such an extrusion would have to build it for ONE thickness of panels -- none of the others would work in that extrusion. There are probably 15 to 20 thickness that these panels are available in, from 1/8" to a full inch.

About the only way you could make a room (sun or patio) out of the panels would be to build you own wood frames for them. It won't meet code, so you will be bootlegging the room in without a permit. That may not be an issue for you, but it'll make it difficult to sell the house at some point down the road.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: