Novice looking for tips on leaky shed roof

Old 04-10-06, 06:42 AM
Novice looking for tips on leaky shed roof

Hi there,

I noticed over the winter that my shed roof was leaking - nothing major, just that there's definitely some water getting in through the waterproofing. I'm a total amateur at this but keen just to touch it up so that it doesn't get any worse. Would be great if someone could give me a bit of guidance.

It's an inverted V shaped roof, covered with the usual shed roof stuff - it's sheets of black, tarry covering, with wooden battens over the joins in the sheets.

I really don't want to go overboard on this, so I'm not too fussed about doing a perfectionist job as we're probably getting a new shed in a couple of years anyway.

From a novice perspective, I was hoping that I could either find a tarry paint that I could just smear all over the roof, or perhaps buy some replacement covering sheets, if needs be. Can anyone provide me with any initial pointers? How essential is it that I go through the whole process of felt underlay etc just for a couple of years?

Any tips gratefully appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-06, 10:19 AM
If it's only got to last a couple more years, simply overlay it with 90# rolled roofing.

Trying to patch the leaky spots with roof patch would work, but there's a good chance that you will create about as many leaks as you patch simply by walking on it.