Where to start with a sunroom?

Old 04-26-06, 12:29 PM
pateacher
Visiting Guest
Question Where to start with a sunroom?

I currently have a screened in patio room, off my family room, built on a concrete slab, that is framed with 2x4's and covered with screen from the top to the bottom. It has a fairly new roof and vinyl ceiling, but the screen is torn. I would like to remove the old screen and do one of two things:

1. Add a knee wall and new screen above or
2. Add a knee wall and windows. I realize this option opens up a can of worms with heat and a/c so I'll probably opt for option 1.

My question is...How do I put up a knee wall that will survive the elements if I only have screen above it? I live in south eastern PA so our weather is not bad, but we do get snow. How about storm windows for the winter that can be removed for the summer? This is how we would like to go but don't know if it's feasible. We don't really want to put heat or a/c out there. We plan to add a celing fan to keep it cooler in the summer. Also, can you direct me to any websites that show how to go about putting up a knee wall with screen above it?

thanks!!

Old 04-26-06, 04:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
You don't like the idea of leaving the storm windows on year-round, and just opening them all the way in the summertime?

Old 04-27-06, 06:03 AM
pateacher
Visiting Guest
Yes, that would be an option. That's why we want to put storm windows so we can close them if need be. I just don't know where to start with this project. We got a few estimates but they are all for 4 season rooms and very pricy. We don't necessarily want a 4 season room, just an update of what we have, which is a screened in patio room. The storm windows would provide extra insulation in the winter, keeping our family room warmer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: