how much stone for the shed?

Old 07-18-06, 10:22 AM

I've read several posts that suggest a concrete foundation but that's just not what I'm looking for right now. this is a cheap metal shed that I just want to last a few years until I can design and submit plans for a real building. When I do that I'm hoping for an insulated slab with radiant heat for a nice workshop.

so I'd just like a bed of gravel for a little bit of drainage and leveling. A friend said two yards but he's not really sure. the stone company is suggesting 2A modified but they sell it by the TON not by the YARD.

So does anyone know how much, by weight, of 2A stone I would need for 2" to 3" bed of gravel under a 10x13 shed?

thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-06, 10:30 AM

A real simple number to use is 100 pounds per cubic foot or 2700 pounds per yard.

It is actually a little more and depends on the kind of rock (limestone, granite, hematie, etc.), but 100 is close enough for estimating.

Dick

Old 07-18-06, 10:54 AM
OK so by my math one yard of material gives me a approximately 2" over 162 sqare feet, which should pretty much cover my needs.

So I need 2500 to 3000lbs of stone? The company right down the street from me quoted $5.50 a ton, I think I can do that.

Let me know if I'm way off but this seems to be correct. I believe the person suggested two yards was thinking three to four inches of gravel which brings it pretty close to two yards.

Old 07-18-06, 12:12 PM

Get a little extra, since 2" is not a lot of thickness when you start kicking it around. Make sure you have enough.

Dick

Old 07-18-06, 01:36 PM
Will do. Thanks.