2x4 or 2x6 for rafters on a 5 sided shed?

Old 08-16-06, 08:06 AM
Question 2x4 or 2x6 for rafters on a 5 sided shed?

Hi,

I'm building a 8' five sided corner shed. The framing has already been completed, 2x4 16 OC for walls. Longest span from wall to wall is 8'. I'm trying to design a roof, thinking of using a hub in the centre with rafters, (no cross braces, planning on using hurricane ties for additional support). Planning to do the spacing at 16OC for the rafters with 3/8 ply on top.

I'm trying to figure out if I should be using 2x6 or 2x4 for the rafters, (slope 6/12), or perhaps a combination of 2x6 for the common and hip and 2x4 for the jack's. Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks

Jake

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-06, 06:57 AM
I have seen some 5-sided shed kits advertised on the internet - searched for "shed cabana" (I was looking to use one as a pool cabana). That might give you some ideas as to how to frame the roof. "cabanavillage.com" showed some assembly photos, but not for the 5-sided version - they used 2x4's for rafters, and a 2x6 for a ridge beam (which you probably won't have coming to a single point). Hope this helps.

Old 08-18-06, 08:07 AM
Thanks for the info, I've come across the website while I was doing research earlier, they have some nice sheds. Its hard to find much information on building your own shed let alone roof design and construction.

I decided on 2x6 for the rafter construction, it might be overkill for this sized roof but I figured it cant hurt. There is a program out there you can try that can calculate rafter dimension for you, it has a 30 day trial. It does not have a specific option for a 5 sided roof but you can break it down in sections and use the program to design the rafters. I built the hub last night by stacking 2x6 stock. So if anyone is interested I will post some ideas and dimensions once I cut the rafters and try them with the hub, assuming that everything works and the roof does not fall in .

cheers

Jake

Old 08-26-06, 04:36 PM
What are the spans of the rafters? Technically, there are not span charts for 2x4's because the are only for vertical use. A 6/12 roof will have limited snow or dead load, so assuming not a long span, the might work, but your choice of 2x6 is a good one.

Old 04-16-07, 10:32 PM
Thumbs up 5 sided corner shed completed (photos)

Hi Everyone,

Its been a while since I finished the project but being so busy with work these days it took a while to get the photos online. However considering its that time of year people are already thinking about building or buying a shed so this may help people decide on a kit or DIY project. The shed took several weekends to complete (longer then expected) but I was happy with the end results. Materials cost about $700-800 but about a 1/4 of what most kits cost and I think with better quality materials.

Here is the link to a few pictures of the completed shed and some construction photos.

http://www.jakeandkaren.com/house/shed.html

Thanks

Jake