Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Greenhouses, Sheds and Sun Rooms
Reload this Page >

Inexpensive, VERY EASY to build storage shed... is there such a thing?

Old 08-26-06, 01:41 PM

I'm soon going to move into a place in the country which is much smaller than where I am currently living. I will have way too many things for the space available.

So I thought about building some sort of a shelter/shack/shed just to store stuff in.

My initial research into this was discouraging. To buy a kit from the hardware store is too expensive, and still seems rather complicated to build. The places on the internet that have "plans" seem to be geared towards someone with alot more know-how and experience with these plans than me.

I hope it won't be a problem for me that I am really inexperienced in construction and building. I am quite happy to give it a whirl, but I don't want to be too confused and overwhelmed by instructions.

I was thinking I could use corregated iron over some type of a frame and floor?? Seems simple enough to me but what do I know.

Some other considerations are:

Security/theft is not an issue.
It needs to hold up through snowy, rainy and windy conditions.
I'd like it to be at least 8x10, but if it doesn't cause too many complications, I would really like it bigger than that.

Am I dreaming that this is a project I can undertake with such limited experience and budget?

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-06, 08:22 PM
Black-Hat,

If buying a kit from a hardware store is out of your budget, then you are probably dreaming. The kits that I've seen are under $1,000 for an 8 X 10 or 8 X 12. There is simply nothing cheaper!!

Old 08-27-06, 04:30 AM
I got a 10'x10' metal shed with the sliding doors for under $400 bucks at the big orange store. I used 3/4" pt plywood as the floor, so that's another $50 bucks. If properly maintained and not abused these sheds last for many years.