Help - My Shed Leaks And I Dont Know Why

Old 01-02-07, 08:50 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help - My Shed Leaks And I Dont Know Why

So I had a shed made...

It leaks (Not tons but it is not dry as a bone inside like I thought it would be)

I see wet and feel it around the edges and feel it under the windows

I dont get why? I had it custom made...

These idiots are not at all good at their job - they make excuses then blame me for things that go wrong with the work they do! when asked to come back and rectify it they do not and weeks later they may come but the rectification is still useless. Then he said he will come back if I complain again and remove the shed and give me my money back - That sounds great but - I am disabled with 3 kids and NO HELP AT ALL - Hence buying this shed :-(

He put silicon around the edges - seemed to work but today I see wet again - No not tons but enough to annoy and upset me - I am not made of money - Just a lil UK woman who knows nothing :-(

If anyone knows why I would be so grateful

I thought it was cos shed on concrete base in a dip - So it is now lifted onto struts that hold it an inch offa the ground...

Then the silicon should have sealed it?

I know it rains alot in UK - But it isnt a river there or anything.

I just dont get it

Any tips of what I can get my teenage boys to do to it and I would be eternally grateful

Sue

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-07, 09:18 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sue,

Welcome to DoItYourself.com and the Shed forum.

It sounds like you have at least 2 seperate spots that are leaking.

The concrete base. Done properly, the top of the concrete would about 3" above grade, with the surrounding dirt sloped away from the shed. The bottom plate of the walls would be sitting directly on the concrete, with bolts embedded in the concrete to keep the walls in place. There wouldn't be a gap. Good shed builders then put a flashing on the studs that goes about 1-1/2" to 2" down the concrete edge, and then install the siding so that it is just below the top of the concrete slab -- you should see at least an inch of the flashing below the bottom of the siding. Obviously, the guys who built your shed didn't do anything like that.

It also sounds as though they installed the window improperly.

Maybe having him remove the shed and getting your money back is the best solution. MAKE SURE YOU GET THAT IN WRITING!!

The gap at the bottom -- that would best be cured by starting from scratch and building the shed properly. No amount of silicon is going to be a permanent solution.