Shed foundation

Old 03-26-07, 07:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shed foundation

I'm going to build a 10 x 17 shed. I was entertaining either pouring a concrete foundation or simply framing the floor joists on concrete blocks and driving anchor posts. Any advice on which is the better route? I know the concrete would be a fair amount of $ and time.

Old 03-27-07, 07:26 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 747 Votes on 686 Posts
In many areas a concrete slab or a proper foundation means you need a building permit because you are building a permanant structure. If your building has a wood floor and it is sitting on concrete blocks than it is a temporary structure since you could move it (with a big enough tractor...).

Old 03-28-07, 07:45 AM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Not only is a building permit necessary, but a permanant outbuilding will add to your taxes. In my area there is also a size limitation. I think it's 12'X12' to be considered temporary.

My shed is sitting on concrete sonotube piers similar to what you would use for a deck. Rim joists are bolted to the piers. If they were nailed it would be considered a permanant outbuilding and taxed.

Isn't beauracracy wonderful? I suggest checking with your local building officials.

Old 03-30-07, 10:16 PM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I tried the temporary building excuse with my cod enforcement dept
Luckily the fine is only double what a permit would cost in the first place

And yep the tax man was out to reappraise my house
My next permit is going to be for a privacy fence, then no more permits

I built my 12x16 on a 2x10 frame sitting on pads and blocks

Can't comment on price but as far as ease it only took two days by myself and that was because I used 2x6s for th flooring

Leveling and racking took the longest time because I did not level the area before hand so each individual pier had to be either raised or l dug out accordingly

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: