Shed Options

Old 03-31-07, 12:38 PM
Shed Options

I just bought an 8x10 metal shed from Home Depot but when I realized how much involved it is to build, I am having second thoughts about returning it. With this metal shed, I still have to buy materials for the subfloor, a plywood deck, materials for a ramp and I have to buy anchors for high wind. Plus, I have to apply coatings to avoid rusting as years pass. In addition, the time to construct the shed is way too long.

I was looking into the Rubbermaid Big Max shed. The size is 7x7 which is more than enough for me. The description says that it resists moisture, does not rot and is maintenance free. Also, it comes with a commercial floor with a ramp that is crack resistant and can be installed in an hour or two.

The metal shed cost me $300 and I still have to buy extra materials for construction. The rubbermaid shed is $550. Is the rubbermaid shed better than the metal shed in overall price, durability and installation?

Does anybody know if it is OK to build the rubbermaid shed right onto the ground? Thanks!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-07, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator
If you want to do the least amount of work then the Rubbermaid would be the way to go.
I can't imagine what they mean by a "commercial" floor though for that money.

If you want this thing to last it would have to be installed on a level packed base.
A small load of screened gravel that is packed would likely do it.

Old 03-31-07, 03:09 PM
Which do you think is more durable in construction?

Old 03-31-07, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator
It's pretty hard to say without seeing them.

My personal choice would be a shed constructed out of wood but is not the easy solution that you want.
As far as cost goes it might not be much more expensive that the metal one considering you need a floor for it.

How about the prebuilt ones that I have seen at the major lumberyards.