shed doors

Old 07-04-07, 08:30 AM
shed doors

several yrs ago we put up exterior plywood/painted doors on our shed. (shed is cinderblock on concrete attached to the house). they look awful - peeling paint and some warp. however, contractors want big bucks to replace. so i wondered if i removed them, sanded well, repainted with good latex paint, and THEN added 1/2" moldings around the edges I could save myself money, if not time. question is, do i need to put 2/4's on the back as other shed doors show? how to attach moldings without using air tools? (i notice professionals use air stapling). these are big doors for a shed--about 4 x 6' each. any help most welcome

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-07, 09:36 AM
Group Moderator
You could probably take out some of the warpage by adding something to stiffen the plywood. A 2x3 or 2x4 on the back of the doors (screwed through the plywood front) would take some of the flex out of the plywood. Additionally, if they are double doors, a barrel bolt latch installed at the top and bottom of one door (passive door) will help keep it in a fixed position when locked so that the other door (operating door) will solidly latch against it.

As far as the painting is concerned, a good sanding would definitely be in order. Be sure you do not skip the primer. A good oil based primer (although a pain to work with) will help the paint job last longer. Priming and painting (exterior house paint) all edges of the plywood will also help the paint job last longer by limiting the amount of moisture the doors absorb.

Any 1/2" mouldings you put around the doors would largely be decorative, wouldn't they?

Old 07-04-07, 10:32 AM
Shed Doors

Paint the doors on both inside and outside. Otherwise, the unpainted side will absorb moisture, causing the door to warp.

Old 07-04-07, 11:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
....and don't forget the top and bottom edges - all 6 sides should be painted!