Shed Plans for Permit?

Old 03-16-08, 03:00 PM
Shed Plans for Permit?

Ok.. after some looking, at manufactured shed, then getting an idea of what I really need, I came to the conclusion that I need to just build. I also got access to a bunch of free 2x4s too.

With that in mind, I have to submit for a permit, so I wanted to get everyones idea on what your thoughts were.

http://users.zoominternet.net/~crabjoe/shed_plan_1.gif
http://users.zoominternet.net/~crabjoe/shed_plan_2.gif

Those links show what I plan on submitting for the permit. Will that do, or do I need to give more info? I put the diagrams together based on how the local shed builders built their shed, which are fairly simple.

Thanks All!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-08, 03:07 PM
Shed Plans for Permit?

I just went to the first plan and saw the size. - With that size you should call your local building plan person to determine what the requirements are for "shed" plans for that size.

It is one thing for a 10x12, but many localities have different requirements when you are building something the size of a garage.

Someone may ask you the embarrassing questions of "What are you going to set it on (footings, etc.)?" and "Where is it going to be?".

Doing this could save you a lot of time and make things easier and cheaper in the end. You may be O.K., but it never hurts to know the local requirements before formally applying.

Old 03-16-08, 09:27 PM
I spoke with the building permit dept last year and was told, I needed to submit my plans with a copy of my lot diagram to show placement. And because it was considered a mobil structure, I didn't need to put down any footers.

All I was told was that the building plan had to meet residential building codes, but if I were purchasing from a shed builder, I needed to submit 2 copies of their brochure.

Based on that info... I went to the shed builders to look at how they were built and also checked with a few friends in the construction business. That's how I came up with the plans.

Ohh.. I wanted to say, I did a separate page for the roof plan.

http://users.zoominternet.net/~crabjoe/shed_plan_3.gif

Please let me know what you think...

Thanks

Old 03-17-08, 05:01 AM
Your plans look good to me... I assume you will not be running electrical to the shed, which would require showing the new runs/outlets/lights/etc.

You will find that the permit office can be your best friend. They are typically very easy to work with in my experience. Submit your plans and application.... if they see an issue with your submission - they will mark the problem areas and ask you to resubmit.

Old 03-17-08, 05:25 AM
Shed Plans

1. I did not see any dimensions for the doors and windows.

2. It looks to me like the roof trusses need to be beefed up by adding chords from the peak to the 1/3 points of the ceiling joist portion of the truss and from there to the center of the rafter.

3. Show the location in relation to property lines, house, and any other buildings on the lot.

Old 03-17-08, 08:34 PM
I contacted the Permit department of the county then emailed them a copy of my plans to see if I needed anything additional.

They emailed me back within a 1/2 hour telling me that my plans were good, but I would need to supply a copy of my plot and also a list of lumber.

Afterwards, I tried to get a copy of my plot from Planning and Zoning. All I got was a copy of my subdivision plot. When I contacted the Permit dept again about this, I was told I could get away with just drawing up my own plot to show the shed in relation with the house and property line. I wish they would have told me that up front, but I wasted about 4 hours, calling then waiting for calls from Planning and Zoning.

Well... I guess I'm good for now. Now, all I have to do is get my HOA's approval and fill out the permit application.

Wish me luck!!

http://users.zoominternet.net/~crabjoe/shed_plan_1.gif
http://users.zoominternet.net/~crabjoe/shed_plan_2.gif
http://users.zoominternet.net/~crabjoe/shed_plan_3.gif

Thanks all!!!

Old 03-18-08, 08:59 AM
Good luck!! Keep in mind - the permit office is not your adversary but rather your older brother trying to keep you honest. They want to help - and expect a modicum of cooperation on your part. If you approach them up front - they can be a great help in getting your project done right!

Old 03-19-08, 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by thezster View Post
Good luck!! Keep in mind - the permit office is not your adversary but rather your older brother trying to keep you honest. They want to help - and expect a modicum of cooperation on your part. If you approach them up front - they can be a great help in getting your project done right!
I contacted the permit office yesterday, again, to ask how long it would take to get a permit. They said it would take about 3 weeks. 3 Weeks!?!? It didn't make sense to me so I asked them what the process was.

What I was told was this. Once the get the application and a check, they send it off Planning and Zoning for location approval. After that, they said it does to Health for approval; this was done to make sure the structure doesn't interfere with any septic systems. When they get both approvals back, it then goes to the building inspector, in their dept, for approval of the structure itself.

Still 3 weeks didn't make sense, so I called the other departments.

When I spoke with Planning and Zoning, I was told, they send back an approval or denial within a couple days. All they're looking for is to make sure any structures are a minimum of 10ft from any property line. Health said it usually takes a day or 2. They said they have to make a site visit to confirm the structure will not be built on the septic field. That sounds good, but they said they have a plot with a, to scale, diagram of exactly where the septic is because it was done, at inspection, at the time of installation.

Health kind of made me laugh a bit because if they inspect before a build starts, what good is a site visit for a visual inspection?

Assuming both of these departments approve, it then goes back to Permits for their building inspector to review the plans.

Call me crazy, but it seems like the county is making more work for itself. It seems to me, the county could save itself, and it's residents, money and time by just having the permit department look into county's database to check the plot against what was submitted for setback and septic. Yes they have the plots loaded in a database. Planning and zoning even emailed me a copy of what they had on file while I was on the phone with them.

Sorry for the ranting, but government waste drives me crazy. But I must say, the county employees have all been very kind and helpful.

Since I'm not ranting any more, I have one more question. Yes, I know you're not in my neighborhood, but I'd like to know what the usual time frame is for HOA approval. When I checked with the HOA management company, all they could tell me was that if I don't get an approval or denial within 60 days, it's an auto approval.

BTW, is it normal for someone to wait for HOA approval 1st, or should one submit a permit request while waiting for the HOA? I'm thinking I need to wait for HOA, even though there are a bunch of other sheds around the neighborhood.

Thanks again all!

Old 03-19-08, 09:05 PM
crabjoe,

3 weeks to get plans approved is just what it is. (My wife has been working at one of the local bldg. depts. for almost 30 years -- I KNOW OF WHAT I SPEAK!!!)

What I CANNOT believe is that they are letting you install a 13' X 24' building and calling it a "mobile structure"! Around here, it would be called a detached garage and HAVE to be on an approved foundation.

But that's a code thing, and how they are enforced depending on where you're at.

Around here, anybody that wants a shed that over 120 sq. ft. usually goes to one of the local lumberyards who has pre-engineered plans. The lumberyard will alter whatever to meet the specific needs of the customer. Then the customer or contractor applies for the permit and waits about 3 weeks to get it.

Old 03-19-08, 10:08 PM
Originally Posted by lefty View Post
What I CANNOT believe is that they are letting you install a 13' X 24' building and calling it a "mobile structure"! Around here, it would be called a detached garage and HAVE to be on an approved foundation.

But that's a code thing, and how they are enforced depending on where you're at.

Around here, anybody that wants a shed that over 120 sq. ft. usually goes to one of the local lumberyards who has pre-engineered plans. The lumberyard will alter whatever to meet the specific needs of the customer. Then the customer or contractor applies for the permit and waits about 3 weeks to get it.
Most of the local builders build them up to 16x32 on skids around here. They even build garages and the difference between a shed and the garage is the floor and skid design. Still they're all pre-built and trucked to site.

Around here, 13x24 isn't that large for a shed. It's might be the biggest in the neighborhood, but I've got one neighbor with a 12x28. There might be a couple others that are in the same size range too, but they got them put in before the homeowners took over the HOA.

My biggest concern is the approval from the HOA's Architectural committee. Like most HOA's there's one person, in the neighborhood that's a PITA, and that person is on the committee.

One of the neighbors built this really nice looking garage, and this person was complaining about it because they weren't parking their cars in it. I wanted to tell them to just shut up because everyone has a right to park their car in their driveway, if they want. The neighbors cars are all nice too. It's not like they were junkers sitting outside.

Please just keep your fingers crossed for me. I need this shed bad because my better half is on my butt to get the garage cleaned out. She wants to be able to park a car in it.

BTW, when I spoke with the permit dept, I was told any structure, regardless of size needs a permit and must meet building code of the following:

* 2006 International Residential Code
* 2006 International Building Code
* 2006 National Standard Illustrated Plumbing Code
* 2003 International Mechanical Code

Me.... I have no idea what the codes say since I've never seen them. All I knew was that 2x4 walls have to be 16" OC. The rest of my plans came from looking over the pre-built sheds from local builder. I figured, if that's the way they are building them, then it must meet code. I did also find out, at least on homes here, that code requires one hurricane clip per truss to alternate from side to side. This was told to me by a friend that is a build foreman for local builder.

Oh... If you want the plans I posted, snatch them now because I'm going to take them off very soon.

Old 03-26-08, 07:00 AM
I got my HOA approval yesterday and I submitted for a permit this morning. The lady at the permit office told me it's going to take 3 weeks because they're backed up.

Wish me luck on a quick approval!!