Please Help me replace my Sun Room Window.

Old 05-16-08, 03:10 PM
Smile Please Help me replace my Sun Room Window.

This is my first post since I just got my ID/PW to work. I have a great contractor who can do almost anything. He just needs a little help getting started with replacing my flat thermal window on my sun room. There are no exposed screws or clips around the window frame. The brown aluminum frame appears to be seamless with no way to access the edge of the thermal glass. Does the frame have to be destroyed to remove the glass or is there a trick to this? Has anyone encountered a similar problem and can advise my contractor how to begin his work? I would also appreciate help in finding any parts or a kit that might be necessary to finish the job. Stuart

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-08, 06:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! It would really help if you were to post a couple of pictures on a site such as photobucket.com and either give us the urls or copy/paste the HTML code in your reply post. That way we can see exactly what you see.

Old 05-17-08, 12:50 PM
There is no need to destroy the frame to replace the glass.

Pictures will almost be a necessity, but my guess is that the frame was installed as the room was being assembled, meaning you would probably have do do some DISASSEMBLY to get the frame out.

Old 05-18-08, 01:31 PM
Thanks for the advice. The problem is I need instructions as to how to disassmble the window and ultimately replace the glass. Pictures will be forthcoming.

Old 06-06-08, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Welcome to the forums! It would really help if you were to post a couple of pictures on a site such as photobucket.com and either give us the urls or copy/paste the HTML code in your reply post. That way we can see exactly what you see.
When I tried to post a picture I had to give the http location. Do I need my own web page to do this. I know this sounds stupid but can you help me post the digital pictures I took of the broken window?

Old 06-07-08, 05:09 AM
Group Moderator
Chandler mentioned photobucket.com, which is a site that allows you to upload your own photos onto their website. If you go there and create your own account, you will see what to do. That way you can link to the pictures that you have uploaded online. There are other similar sites too.

Old 06-08-08, 05:06 AM
Thanks for explaining how to post a picture. Below are 5 links to the jpg's I photographed showing closeups of the inside and outside of the window frame. You can also see what the shattered glass looks like. I hope this gives some clues as to how to replace the glass. I probably need a good source of frame supplies. --Stuart

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/l...ideofframe.jpg

Old 06-08-08, 06:47 AM
Group Moderator
Its hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks as if you have a solarium, maybe by Sunshine Rooms or 4 Seasons. Or at least it's an aluminum extrusion system that's kind of similar. The glass is usually removed from these type of rooms by working on the exterior side of the room.

Along the bottom of the broken glass, it appears there is some odd kind of flashing that has been made to cap the bottom. You'll slice the caulk, remove that bottom flashing, and there should be a piece of rubber gasket stuffed between the glass and the aluminum sill. Pry out that gasket.

In your first 2 pictures, on the right side, you have a vertical muntin cover with a "cap" running down the middle. (in the pictures, this cap is slightly darker brown than the piece that it is snapped onto). There is one on the right side of the broken glass, and one on the left of the broken glass. The cap on the vertical muntin first needs to be pryed off. Start at the bottom and pry up under it to get it started. Try to be careful not to bend it all up if you intend to reuse it. Once the cap is off, there should be some stainless steel screws that hold the vertical muntin cover on. You will likely need to remove the entire muntin cover (spanning several pieces of glass) in order to continue the tearout process.

Once the left and right vertical muntin covers are removed, there will be a horizontal muntin cover to remove, that covers up the top edge of the broken glass, and the bottom edge of the unbroken glass directly above the broken one. On the rooms I'm familiar with (Sunshine Rooms) this cover is hammered onto the room with a rubber mallet and has 5/8" wide 2-faced tape that sticks to the glass. So the first thing you would do is try to cut the tape that is sandwiched between the glass and the horizontal muntin cover. (The tape is covered by a bead of silicone caulk in your first picture) It actually takes a special deglazing tool to do this, but you might be able to do it with a bent knife or thin flexible putty knife. You stick the tool between the bottom edge of the glass (the one above the broken one) and the horizontal muntin cover, and slide it along to cut the tape and caulk. Once the tape and caulk have been sliced apart, the horizontal muntin cover will pry upward. It's sometimes difficult to remove, since it is hammered into place. You have to start on the end and work toward the middle. Hopefully you won't bend it up, because this part also will have to be reused.

After completing the above, you will have exposed the entire perimeter of the glass on the outside. The glass might lift right out. If not, there could be 2-faced tape on the inside of the room as well. You'd need to cut that tape (sandwiched between the interior side of the glass and the interior side of the frame) in order to free the glass up.

As far as a source for replacement parts, in the event something gets bent and cannot be reused, it's hard to say where you would get parts without knowing the brand of sunroom you have. Look in the bottom corner of each piece of glass for a trademark. Perhaps that will identify the manufacturer. As is often the case, original parts may no longer be available, which is why in the instructions above, I often mentioned that you need to be careful as you dismantle certain parts, because in most cases you need to try to cleanup and reuse the parts. Additionally, you'll want to be sure that the replacement glass is exactly the same size as the old one (overall size AND thickness) and that it is tempered / safety glass, just like the original.

Old 06-08-08, 09:11 AM
I agree with XSleeper -- it's hard to tell from those pictures. Less of a close-up would be better, so we could see the entire window and the frame around it, or even a couple of windows in one photo.