Build a garden shed

Old 05-27-08, 07:53 AM
Build a garden shed

Hi Everyone,

Just discovered this site. Great job everyone is doing!

After we built the fence and a deck, which turned out pretty good looking, at lest that’s what we are thinking we want to attempt building a garden shed 8’ x 12’.

We finished in the fall the base for the shed. We put on concrete blocks three 4x 6 12’ PT beams and also put 4x6 on the 8’ sides of the base. We screwed 2x6 8’ boards on to it as the floor. Was this a good or bad idea?

Reading instructions for the framing it always asks for nails. Do I have to use nails or could I use screws instead and what type and size would you use?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-08, 01:30 PM
Shed Floor

The 2x6 boards will shrink and leave gaps between them. Decking screws are O.K. to use, but have less shear strength. I would use hot-dipped galvanized nails.

Old 05-27-08, 08:47 PM
Thank you!
I figured that nails would be stronger than screws. I just like the idea of screws in case I have to take things apart again because I ‘screwed’ something up. Has happened before.

Old 05-28-08, 06:12 AM
Nails

That is why I have cat's paw in my tool bag. It is a good tool for removing nails. Once I get the nail head raised a short distance, then I can pull the nail with a hammer or pry bar. Good luck with your project.

Old 05-28-08, 07:20 AM
I think I will go with the nails. I will let you know how we are doing and I am sure I will have more questions.
Thanks for your help.