Too Hot Sun Room

Old 07-03-08, 10:43 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Too Hot Sun Room

The sun room in my house was created from what was originally a screened porch. It has glass approximately from floor to ceiling on two sides. The other two sides are the brick of the house. No heating or cooling vents were added to the room and that would probably be difficult and expensive to do. Leaving the dining room and kitchen doors which open to the room would help but , of course, would result in a very high power bill. Although there is a ceiling fan, that is hardly enough to make the room anywhere comfortable. I am much behind the times in what is currently available in building materials, but I would guess by now there might be glass replacement that controls heat. Again, that would probably be expensive. I know there are window films that might help. Do they make one now that is clear and doesn't show? Any advice you can offer would be appreciated. Thank you.

show

Old 07-06-08, 06:13 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Replacing the glass with Low-E or Low-E squared glass is probably going to give you the biggest bang for the buck. (Are the windows in the sunroom single or double pane??)

Reducing the amount of glass would certainly help as well. Since the glass is presently "floor-to-ceiling", whatever you put in would have to be tempered, as well as having Low-E coatings. Rebuild the wall and make the bottom 2' solid wall and you get away from needing tempered glass. Siding is a lot less expensive than glass.

Install new windows that are available 'off the shelf' at Lowe's or Home Depot rather than custom made to height, and that will save you money as well. Fill the top with siding.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: