Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Greenhouses, Sheds and Sun Rooms
Reload this Page >

Metal Shed; Foundation and up... Hold my hand? :BIG grin:

Old 07-05-08, 01:59 PM

Hi everyone... I'm a DIYer as much as I can be, and my husband is a really handy guy for so many things (our cars, home, kids...). He's a DIYer for anything and everything he can do and/or learn about.

We bought him a shed for Father's Day (10x8 Metal Arrow shed at Home Depot) that comes with the floor kit.

We're both kind of looking at the kit for the floor... He laid it all out on the ground to see about how many cinder blocks he wants to put it up on... And I am wondering...

1. Cinder blocks vs. concret2?
2. Cost for either...? He figured out around $75 for the concrete I think according to a formula of 10x8x2(inches thick foundation) divided by 12 and multiplied by the cost of an 80lb. bag.
3. What's EASIER?

We've already bought and painted some OSB for the floor.

I'm trying to be as good a wife as I can, but I have some huge wisdom teeth that won't be extracted until this upcoming Friday... So I'm being a baby.

Any and all suggestions from you friendly folk will be very much appreciated!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-08, 02:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
To lay cinder block [correctly] you need a concrete footer and a footer is normally a lot thicker than 2" IMO it is best to have a concrete floor - it's stronger and lower to the ground. If you do go with a wood floor you need to have the bldg up off of the ground enough to promote air circulation under the floor and joists so they don't rot.

You have several options with a wood floor. You can construct the floor and support it off of the ground with PT posts [4x4 or 6x6] or pour a little footer to support block piers for the framing to rest on. If you want the floor well off the ground level you can pour a footer, block up a foundation [provide vents for air circulation] and build the floor framing off of that.

I'm sure you can see why I prefer a concrete floor, especially in the south where bugs are so prevelant

btw - welcome back to the forums!

Old 07-06-08, 05:22 PM
Forget the wood floor -- pour the slab. But make it AT LEAST 3" thick (rather than 2") For what little extra the concrete will cost, the strength will be worth it. 2" thick is going to crack in a heartbeat, especially with a shed resting on the perimeter of it.

Get a good base down before you pour the slab.

8' X 10', 3" thick, you're looking at a yard of concrete. Can you rent a concrete trailer (United Rental, etc.) rather than use redi-mix?