Check my structure for me?

Old 08-06-08, 04:29 PM
Check my structure for me?

Hey, I've just finished framing my shed, and I'm going to be putting it up on the concrete this saturday, but now I'm wondering about the stability of it all. Just a couple things I'm worried about. First are the trusses. I fashioned my own gussets out of 7/16th OSB board, but I'm wondering if I made them too short on the top corner. Here's a picture of the top of my trusses:

Here is a wider shot of the trusses:

So you can see that I didn't get the angles on the gusset exactly right, and it's just not as big as I would have liked. Do you think it will still be strong enough? I think the gussets on the side corners will be ok, I'm just curious about the top ones.

Another question, while framing my walls, a couple of the edges on the top plate split while framing the edge studs on. Here's a sample:

Is that something I need to worry about? Or once it's all together, will it be ok? If not, how can I fix it without major surgery?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-08, 05:37 AM
Framing

How did you fasten the gussets?

The splitting of the ends of the top plates can be prevented by drilling before nailing. I know this seems like a waste of time, but it solves the problem. Yours should be O.K. if you will nail the wall covering securely to the top plate and corner stud.

Old 08-07-08, 06:34 AM
Originally Posted by Wirepuller38 View Post
How did you fasten the gussets?

The splitting of the ends of the top plates can be prevented by drilling before nailing. I know this seems like a waste of time, but it solves the problem. Yours should be O.K. if you will nail the wall covering securely to the top plate and corner stud.
What exactly do you mean by fasten the gussets? I placed gussets on both sides and nailed them through with about five nails on each side (right/left) of the gusset. Two near the tip of the 2x4, two on the other end of the gusset, and one in the middle. Here's a rough mock-up of how I've nailed the gussets:

Edit: Sorry, I just realized you might not be able to see the nails on the picture of the truss I posted earlier, because it's the underside of the truss, I nailed them from the other side. The nails are just barely poking through on this side, so you can't really see them.

Old 08-08-08, 06:07 AM
Trusses

Each gusset should be nailed from its own side. The nail head provides the holding strength.

Old 08-08-08, 07:11 AM
Originally Posted by Wirepuller38 View Post
Each gusset should be nailed from its own side. The nail head provides the holding strength.
I see, thanks. I can drive some nails in from the other side. Is adding so many nails going to weaken the 2x4 at all?

Old 08-08-08, 10:44 AM
Also, I read somewhere that it was recommended to glue the gussets to the trusses before driving nails. Should I be worried that I didn't do that? Or will the nail construction be ok? I'm spacing these trusses 16" on center.

Old 08-08-08, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator
Paq...I was gonna mention that, but you were past that point. Not a huge deal for a shed. I used construction adhesive on mine. Once you get the roof decking on and in place, it shouldn't be an issue. Yer just basically keeping the trusses from slipping around with the gussets.

BTW you don't need to use huge nails to put the gussets on.
4's or 6's would probably be fine. Basically the nail should go double the thickness of the plywood into the 2x4. Plus using the smaller nails will reduce splitting.

Old 08-08-08, 11:36 AM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
Paq...I was gonna mention that, but you were past that point. Not a huge deal for a shed. I used construction adhesive on mine. Once you get the roof decking on and in place, it shouldn't be an issue. Yer just basically keeping the trusses from slipping around with the gussets.

BTW you don't need to use huge nails to put the gussets on.
4's or 6's would probably be fine. Basically the nail should go double the thickness of the plywood into the 2x4. Plus using the smaller nails will reduce splitting.
Cool, thanks. But how does the roof decking keep them from buckling? Let me think how to explain this. There are four sections to each truss, two different pitches on each side, right? And my decking will only be connecting all the trusses for each pitch, one at a time. The pitches (if that's what you call them) are not being connected at all, (except by perhaps the tar paper and some shingles. You get my drift? So if there's a lot of weight on the roof, and the trusses want to buckle, how does the decking keep that from happening?

Honestly, it doesn't really matter, like you say, it's just a shed, and it will probably suffice. I guess I'm just curious, that's all. But thanks a lot for all your advice.

Old 08-08-08, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator
Yer spanning multiple trusses with one sheet of plywood, so the load is shared. The Greeks (Romans?) long ago figured out about arches. The load of the roof is forcing the angled ends of your trusses into stonger contact.
Your gussets prevent the roof load from letting the joints of your trusses seperate and making the walls bulge out.

Don't sweat it. Put some more nails thru the gussets that don't have heads on their side. Like I said...4's or 6's are fine. Prob 4's.

Old 08-08-08, 02:40 PM
Yer spanning multiple trusses with one sheet of plywood, so the load is shared. The Greeks (Romans?) long ago figured out about arches. The load of the roof is forcing the angled ends of your trusses into stonger contact.
Your gussets prevent the roof load from letting the joints of your trusses seperate and making the walls bulge out.

Don't sweat it. Put some more nails thru the gussets that don't have heads on their side. Like I said...4's or 6's are fine. Prob 4's.
Awesome, thanks! And by 4's or 6's, you mean 4 penny, or 6 penny?

Old 08-08-08, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator
Yep...small ones...jeez now my answers are all too short

Old 08-08-08, 03:19 PM
Yep...small ones...jeez now my answers are all too short
Lol, i know what you mean. Thanks. And thanks for all your help.