Best way to level site for shed

Old 08-22-08, 08:50 AM
Best way to level site for shed

So I've decided to get a shed built. 12x16. A local outfit will put one up for a good price and I'm going to let them. I need to get a site leveled. In my back yard I've put in some stakes and run string between them so I have an idea of where it's going to be but I think one end is low about 8 inches. How should I start? I'm thinking dig the sod up leaving just the dirt. I can get some free railroad ties for the low end. Drill some holes and pound some rebar stakes through the ties. Get a ton? or so of gravel delivered and wheel barrow it to where needed using the gravel to level. Not going to pour a pad, just a gravel floor and probably use some tie downs to anchor the shed. How does that sound?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-08, 06:45 PM
I am in the exact same situation.. But I am going to need a floor. So I am going to use concrete blocks (solid) I will use a single on one end and then double or triple them up on the low end. I am going to build a 8 x 12 and use 4 x 4 runners with 2 x 4 stringers.... All pressure treated... Not sure if I will put rock down or not.. I probably will...

Old 08-28-08, 09:26 PM
A change in my situation. SWMBO (she who must be obeyed) gave me permission to block the flowerbed..it will be on a level sop now, not off to the side where the slope starts. I'm think this is some sort of plot to get the flowers somewhere else later but I'll just cross that bridge when she builds it.

Old 11-12-08, 04:11 PM
Originally Posted by fyxxer View Post
A change in my situation. SWMBO (she who must be obeyed) gave me permission to block the flowerbed..it will be on a level sop now, not off to the side where the slope starts. I'm think this is some sort of plot to get the flowers somewhere else later but I'll just cross that bridge when she builds it.
Hi fyxxer - I find myself in a similar situation in more ways than one. Instead of a flower bed, I will be blocking a trellis swing which she wants me to move. I am using 12" x 12" concrete patio stones to build up a level for a site which is (clockwise), 0"-8"-19"-12" out of level. 0-8 is the door side of the tuff shed which is 12' x 16' with galvanized 6" steel floor joists. Do I need stone under the patio stones and/or concrete caulk between each layer? How did you resolve your situation with your base?