Shed Foundation Question

Old 06-04-09, 06:25 AM
Shed Foundation Question

I am planning on building a 12'x12' shed with a block perimeter and pavers as the flooring. I prefer not to have to mix concrete and getting a truck back is not possible. I was wondering how crusher run would work as a foundation for the block. The frost line is 12", so I was planning on a 10" compacted base of crusher run with the top at the 12" mark and 2 coarses of block which would put me 4" above the surface. Does this seem feasible? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-09, 04:56 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What part of NC are you located in? Big state, and alot of different climates. You probably won't need the full 10" depth, but if you are up to it, then all the better. I would use what is called "base" locally. Once put in the hole, it won't compact any further. Sand should be used for the top two inches and it should be compacted fairly good before the pavers are installed. I am assuming you have figured in a method of moving water around this foundation. Sinking perf pipe around the footing and moving it to the low side will help keep things stable once the building is in place. The block you mention are your perimeter for placing your plates, is that correct? Pavers will be inside these block?

Old 06-05-09, 09:26 AM
Thanks for the response Chandler

I am in the Raleigh area so the weather doesn't get too cold.

Were you recommending to use the "base" for the footing or for inside the wall for the base of the pavers or both? I was planning on either using the crusher run or #57 stone for inside the block wall with fabric on top and then a layer of sand for the pavers to sit in. Compacted soil under all that.

This "base", is this like crusher run or is there no need to even compact it?

Perf pipe sounds like a good idea. I will add that.

Yes, the block wall would be mortared on the bed of crusher run and the plates and walls would sit on them. Pavers would only act as the flooring. I would add tie downs in the block.

I also have a fairly large Oak (20" dia) that will be near the shed. Any suggestions on how far I should be from it. I am kind on limited in space by I was thinking 10', but I could go a little more if I need to. Thanks

Old 06-06-09, 10:02 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I live just a few miles south of WNC, so there is a great difference in wx. I would try to be at least at the drip line of the tree. Those roots are going to be a bear. "Base" is like crusher run, it just has more concrete (rock) dust in it so it will settle out when it is placed with little tamping to be done. Once placed it won't settle any more. Great for driveways. Seems like you have the plan on "go". Let us know if we can help further.

Larry

Old 06-08-09, 07:11 AM
I've been down pretty much the entire depth that I need to be at the 8' mark and there were no significant roots from the oak. I guess my main concern was whether I would get any growth in the next 20 or so years that would then lift the foundation.

Maybe I got lucky because most of the drip line is on the opposite side, so most of the root system is probably there as well, which is most likely why I cannot grow healthy grass there.

Thanks again for your input Beer 4U2