PT Floor Decking vs. PT Plywood

Old 08-31-09, 01:14 PM
PT Floor Decking vs. PT Plywood

Hi,

I'd like to know what is the best flooring to put in a 10x14 woode shed? I'm considering the 5/4 x6 PT floor decking and 3/4 plywood and leaning towards the Ply. One contractor told me using the decking would allow moisture from the ground to seep into the shed. Was wondering if anyone here could provide some guidance on this. Thanks

FC

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-09, 02:19 PM
Yes moisture and bugs will migrate up into your shed. After many 1x6 decks, I have learned to install them tight, as within the first year you can drop a pencil down through. But the moisture is not good even for PT plywood. Try to keep it open around the base for ventilation.

Old 08-31-09, 04:24 PM
Thanks Bud. Quick follow-up if you don't mind. For the base I was thinking of going with solid concrete blocks set on crushed, tamped gravel all around with a few sonotubes in the front. Lay the PT joists right there and build. What's your opinion on the construction of the base? One contractor told me go with PT 6x6 as a base. Said he had to dig them into the ground a bit and level off. I wasn't too crazy with this idea - rather set the wood on the blocks and tubes with no earth contact even if it is PT beams.

FC

Old 08-31-09, 04:43 PM
fatclemenza,

If I was going to go to all of that trouble, I'd just pour a concrete salb and be over it!!

Pluses -- you don't have to worry about moisture, bugs. earth-to-wood contact, rot, ...

Downsides -- concrete is over $100/yd. and you won't be moving the shed.

Pluses (again) -- the slab is quicker and probably cheaper than any wood floor.

FYI -- both of my sheds are on slabs.

Old 09-01-09, 08:22 PM
thanks left. i've already got the crushed gravel tamped and set. also, i'd like to take the shed with me if i move eventually, particularly after paying top $ to get it built. so, slab is out at this point.

Old 09-02-09, 04:17 AM
Quick read, but my first thought would be careful mixing the floating concrete blocks and the sona tubes. The blocks will go up and down with the frost, while the tubes are more likely to stay put.

Bud

Old 09-03-09, 06:57 PM
hey thanks for the read bud. appreciate it. makes a lot of sense and certainly not something i thought of. will now go with all conc. blocks.

fc

Old 09-24-09, 06:50 PM
Shed Follow-Up

Hi all,

Got 90% of the shed done - should have it all wrapped up by early next week. I have both a ridge vent and soffit venting. My questions is should I also install gable vents on both front and back? I'm thinking the additional ventilation might be useful or is it overkill. The shed is 12x12.

Thanks all

FC

Old 09-24-09, 07:14 PM
A ridge vent and soffit vents are plenty.