Four season addon

Old 10-04-00, 10:23 AM
Visiting Guest
I would like to build a 4 season sunroom onto my existing deck. I have scoured the internet looking for a kit, plans, do it yourself etc. Most things I've found point to a book or video. Any suggestions on a book/video/web site that would address my specific situation. I am pretty handy with tools around the house. Thanks for your time.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-00, 11:05 PM
I install sunrooms, patio rooms, patio covers, etc. for a living. My best advise is don't take on this project as a do-it-yourself project, unless, of course, you live in an area where it NEVER rains. Trust me, if you live in an area where it rains, you WILL be fighting leaks forever!!

Old 10-05-00, 05:23 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your reply. I live in the northeast and yes it rains here quite often, more than often this year. My thoughts on this project was a conventional wood framed attachment with large windows/screens and sliders on the vertical surfaces. For a roof I was thinking of a conventional roof that attaches parallel to the house and angles down to the end of the deck where it meets the outside wall. I could forgo any skylights in the roof if you think this is a problem area.

Old 10-05-00, 09:37 PM
Doug, I hate to rain on your parade, but...

If you build what you are describing, and want it to be treated like a patio room by the bldg. dept., you will have to meet the requirements of a patio room. It needs to be 65% open (to a height of 80" off of the floor) on the longest wall and one adjacent wall. The only way to meet this requirement is to have ALL panes of glass in the window frame removable. You will have to design and build all the windows (at least in the 2 walls in question) that way. If you don't meet this requirement, the bldg. dept. will treat your 'four season addon' like any addition to a house, and you will have to meet all of the codes THAT involves. The folks at the bldg. dept. will work with you in the planning and drawing stages of the project, but it will probably take you many discussions with them to get it designed to satisfy them. Good luck.

Old 10-06-00, 05:00 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the info Lefty, I will introduce myself to our building inspector and get his opinion.

Old 09-04-01, 06:04 AM
tomkoi
Visiting Guest
Doug,

I have thought about doing the same thing you discuss here. What have you learned /done. I am very curios as to what you did and how you did it. I too have searched everywhere and have come up empty.

Tom