Cost estimates per what?

Old 11-17-00, 09:12 AM
Visiting Guest
I have a large deck (12x30) that we are considering partially converting to a "sunroom," that being an all glass/aluminum stucture approximately 12x20. The deck is 6'+ above ground so all access for insulation, wiring, etc should be simple. It is currently enclosed with wood siding; not particle,plywood, etc but siding. The deck is supported on 4x6 posts on approximate 4' centers around perimeter and one center post with a double joist. I am not sure of the footer depth but have reason to believe they are deep. All joists are 16" centers. I would like to have 2/12 pitch in roof and again, glass everywhere.

So, to the questions:
1) Is there a good kit that I can get and install it myself? Aby idea of price and time involved? Special tools required?
2) Any recommendations of the pre-fab outfits, like FourSeasons, Patio Enclosures, etc in case I need a Pro.
3) Any guidelines as to cost estimate per square foot? Is sq ft a reasonable unit to use in cost comparisom?

And I believe my local codes have some provision/requirement for pouring "stabilization" footings for wind effects. I live in a Hurricane zone. Anyone know anything about this?

Any and all information is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-00, 09:28 AM
First, find the various sources available to you for such a room. This would include local contractors who construct them, DIY kits, etc. Get the engineering cut sheets from each of these sources and work with your local bldg. dept. to see which rooms they would allow you to put on the deck, how it would have to be attached to the deck, and what changes might have to be made to the deck in order to do it.

Since you are in hurricane country, windload will be your biggest obsticle. I would guess that you will be required to embed the corner posts of the room in rather large concrete footings. When I put mine up 5 years ago, I had to embed the posts 2' feet into fottings that are 2' square and 3-1/2' deep. This was so it would meet a 90 mph windload.