Condensation on inside of ceiling

Old 12-16-09, 05:05 PM
Condensation on inside of ceiling

I recently moved into a mobile home witha 10'X14' aluminum sun room at the back door. I decided I would convert it into a heated utility room for the washer/dryer, water heater, softner, breaker box, freezer and maybe a desk.
I took the aluminum walls with windows off of the wooden porch it sat on and formed 3 walls with 2X4 studs. I left the aluminum roof on the room as it seemed easier. I purchased metal roof panels and installed them above the room, at a slight angle, running them under the panels on the main part of the trailer.
Although I have the walls and roof up, the interior is not completely insulated as of yet. I also had to tear the rotten floor out so I am working one side at a time with air coming up through the floor.
My problem is exactly what I was afraid of. Last night it was very cold (20 deg I think) and we were running the clothes dryer in the room. The dryer is not vented as we just set it in to do laundry (Until it gets hooked properly). The room still has the original metal ceiling/roof with built in gutters beneath the new metal roof. I am planning on running ceiling joists about 6" lower to properly insulate and have a ceiling sturdy enough to mount a ceiling fan. As I walked in last night I noticed a large amount of condensation on the inside ceiling of the room. What will I have to do to get rid of the "Sweating" so that I don't have rot issues in the future.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-09, 06:34 PM
I think you know most of this answer. Vent the dryer to the outside. Insulate and air seal the walls and ceiling to prevent normal warm moist air from getting into walls and ceiling where more condensation can occur. Converting a sundeck to living space can have more issues than just walls and insulation. Check current building codes for the work your have done and are planning so that the time and materials you invest will become a asset that somw future inspector doesn't require it being removed.

Not busting your chops, just trying to help,
Bud

Old 12-17-09, 04:54 AM
Group Moderator
Double what Bud said.

Almost every bit of water being removed from your clothes is ending up condensing on your ceiling/walls and soaking into your wood. Not a good situation. Immediatly get the dryer venting outside even if it's a temporary setup while under construction (run the hose out a window or door or install a proper dryer vent now rather than later). The very high humidity in the room when drying clothes versus the very low humidity of your winter air may cause warping problems, in addition to soaking your insulation and feeding the rot which is already a problem.