Patio Posts

Old 01-07-10, 10:42 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Patio Posts

I have patio posts that are subject to a lot of sitting water whenever it rains or we water the plants. Other than cutting in drains on an existing concrete flooring, what can I do to keep the water from gathering around the posts? Can I build a water barrier of some kind. When it rains real heavy, the patio can get about 1 1/2 inches deep around the posts.

Regards
The Hylander2k

Last edited by Hylander2k; 01-08-10 at 12:34 AM. Reason: poor verbage
Old 01-21-10, 09:29 PM
R
What size are the posts? An idea might be to get some large coffee cans with the tops and bottoms removed. Cut the cans length wise so they can be opened. coat the inside with oil and place them around the bottom of the posts.Then, wire them top and bottom to prevent them from spreading. Get some ready mix concrete and fill each can with the mix. Let the concrete set for a couple of days then remove the wire ties and spread the cans open so they can be removed.

Another idea might be to build frames out of small pieces of 2x4 lumber. Oil the inside of the frams and fill with concrete mix.

Old 01-22-10, 06:56 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 747 Votes on 686 Posts
The big problem I see is that any kind of moat or dam will also hold water at the post possibly making the problem worse. What are your patio posts for? Do they support an overhead trellis, do they support a deck, are they railing posts? There are steel bases specifically made for holding the bottom of posts up off the concrete but most I have seen are only meant to take a load straight down, so they do not have the same rigidity (ability to stand upright and carry side loads) as a post sunk into the ground.

Old 01-22-10, 10:27 AM
H
Patio Posts-continued

The posts are 4X4 used to hold up a tongue and groove patio cover. The steel straps were anchored in concrete footing and are now showing signs of rusting. Then the concrete patio flooring was poured around the posts and surrounding areas. The posts and straps were put in around 1974-75.

I'll attempt to post some pictures here as well.

[IMG]C:\Users\Jack\Desktop\Video 19 0 00 00-01.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]C:\Users\Jack\Desktop\Video 19 0 00 04-18.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by Hylander2k; 01-22-10 at 11:01 AM.
Old 01-22-10, 11:45 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 747 Votes on 686 Posts
It looks like you linked to photos on your computer. You first need to upload your pictures to an online photo hosting service like Webshots or Photo Bucket and then put the link in your post.

Old 01-22-10, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
http://forum.doityourself.com/electr...your-post.html

I'd say you prob need to support the posts..then put in cast standoffs. Prob is why is the water collecting there?

The pics will prob be the best thing. Use a hose and put water down if there isn't any now.

Old 01-22-10, 02:48 PM
H
Thanks for the tip

Thanks for the photo tip Pilot Dane, Here are the pics.

http://i825.photobucket.com/albums/z...1900000-01.jpg

http://s825.photobucket.com/albums/z...1900004-18.jpg

Old 01-22-10, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator
Well...you need to replace the entire post..thats obvious. It appears that your patio area has sunk down some...or the drainage has changed. Anyway....I'd probably cut out the area around the posts..while supporting the roof....then pour new concrete and slightly slope it away enough to avoid water...then use cast aluminum standoffs that can be anchored by screwing into the concrete.

You really need to look at the drainage issue though...where is it coming from?

Old 01-23-10, 12:03 PM
H
Patio Posts-continued

I erroneously thanked the wrong person for the photo tip. Thanks Gunguy45.

To continue: In my heart I guess I knew that I would have to replace the posts.

The water that settles there usually comes from rain showers(like we had all this week in Ca), or when my wife decides to water the plants on the patio. Below is a full picture of the patio. The wall near the posts is a sitting wall, ergo trapping the water in. But in the wall's defense, it also keeps all the flood waters from the lawn from getting on to the patio except where the patio opens up to the lawn. Thanks again for your advise.

Projects :: Video20.flv video by scotsmun - Photobucket

Old 01-23-10, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator
Well...you might be able to support the roof...replace the post...and use some pavers or preformed pads (not regular brick) attached with some construction adhesive to the concrete? That will raise it above the water then the standoff could be mounted on that if needed. Maybe even one of those preformed pyramid shaped piers designed for decks and such? That might not look to bad if stained or painted....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: