Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Greenhouses, Sheds and Sun Rooms
Reload this Page >

shed roof with 15/32" plywood..what size nails?

Old 05-10-10, 12:18 PM

I am building a shed/playhouse that has 15/32" plywood/tarpaper/asphalt shingles. You can see the underside of the roof when you are inside the building. I am trying to figure out what size roofing nail the use to put down the asphalt shingles. The smallest that I have found at Lowes is 7/8". Will these come through on the underside? If so what size or style would you guys suggest.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-10, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator
Unfortunately thats about the smallest you can get I think. The nails actually should penetrate the under surface of the ply for best retention...but I understand the hazard to heads and hands.

Unfortunately..the only thing I could advise is the use an angle grinder and take care of those that may be an issue. Either that or add extra ply....

Old 05-20-10, 10:17 PM
You can use 3/4" or longer nails, but the point is that you WANT the nails to go completely thru the sheathing so that they will hold! (If they don't go completely through, moisture will force them to rise, and look at what's above the nail head -- YOUR ROOFING!! The rising nails will punch holes in it from the under side.)

If you don't want to see the nails from underneath, install blocking between the rafters and a soffit (or ceiling, faux ceiling -- whatever you want to call it) attched to the blocking.

Old 05-20-10, 10:33 PM
I agree with Lefty. You for sure need the nails to go all the way though the wood so they will not pop out. If you don't all the shingles will start to pop out. Just try to get creative with covering them up.