Shed construction questions.

Old 05-28-10, 03:36 PM
Shed construction questions.

Have plans to build a 16W x 16L or 20L x 10H (walls) shed very soon and had some concerns about what to do. Wanting to pour a concrete slab for shed, how thick? Or would wood frame be sufficient, have had issues before with wood floors, only storing yard tractor and lawn equip and other misc boxes etc. What and how do I figure roof as far as pitch and how to plan the truss structure? Wanting to use asphalt shingles. Wanting to put a 6 foot double metal door for easy entry\exit for tractor, good idea. If the shed is not attached to my house and I am doing all the work do I need a permit? Also want to be able to store (crap) if possible in the roof with the use of a scuttle whole, could this be done? As far as electrical can I just run a line from my box in the garage to the shed, if so, permit? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Have remodeled my house on my own by trial and error, that gets expensive, want to try this on the first try. Where is a good place to get plans?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-10, 04:22 PM
Shed

I would suggest a 4 in. thick concrete floor.

Consult your local building authority concerning permits.

Lots of plans are available on line. Google "Shed Plans" and you will get lots of hits.

Good luck with your project.

Old 05-29-10, 06:42 PM
Wirepuller38 covered it.

Depending on where you're at, you may or may not need a permit for the shed. The electrical will probably be a seperate permit. (Even if you don't need one for the shed, you'll probably have to have one for the electrical.)