Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Greenhouses, Sheds and Sun Rooms
Reload this Page >

Want to build an 8x12 run in (loafing) shed, having problem with layout

Old 10-20-10, 07:52 AM

Hi, I'm hoping someone can set me straight here. I'm looking at building an 8x12 run in-type shed for two small animals. I'm handy enough to pull off the construction myself (I think, anyway) with the right plan, but I'm not a carpenter or engineer by trade & would rather it be laid out on paper properly to ensure it is structurally sound. I could certainly fudge it and get something up on my own design but would rather get it done right the first time.

With that said--does anyone have, or know a good place to find, a plan for an 8x12 pole building? I'm planning on keeping dirt floor, but am going to pull up some soil & put gravel underneath for drainage. I'd also prefer a simple flat roof w/ enough slope for runoff. I'm leveling the ground but it is otherwise on a gentle downhill slope, so I'm hoping drainage won't be a problem.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciatd. I've searched online & bought a few books, but everything I've found either has plans for a concrete or other floor, gabled roof, etc. Like I said--being structurally sound is my main objective. We get very strong winds coming over the hill (the area I'm clearing will have the short side of the building facing into the wind), and though heavy snow isn't always a guarantee we definitely got pounded here in Virginia last year.

Thanks in advance for any advice, tips, or plans!

-Jimmy

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-10, 01:09 PM
Shed

Three posts in front and three in rear. Beams with top plates connecting the front posts and beams with top plates connecting the rear posts. Rafters run from front to rear. Corner bracing from beams to posts for stability. This is a start. Come back with questions.

This diagram may be helpful:

http://www.owning-alpaca.com/support...oafingshed.pdf

Old 10-21-10, 10:23 AM
Thanks!

Wirepuller,

Can't thank you enough...this is exactly what I've been looking for but haven't seen. I'm pretty sure this will get me where I'm going.

Thanks a ton,

-Jimmy

Old 10-21-10, 11:37 AM
Plans

You are welcome. Glad we could help.

Plan your wall framing to maximize your outer wall covering dimensions to reduce waste. Do this before you set the posts.