Laying a base for a Metal Shed

Old 10-26-10, 01:54 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Laying a base for a Metal Shed

Hi all

I am not the greatest DIYer in the world, so looking for a pointer or 2!

I have got hold of a nice big metal shed to house my trail bikes (at last) I have ordered the shed and it is on itís way along with installation. The manufacturer say I need a flat level surface to put the shed on. Ideally concrete. I have never done this before, I have picked a spot in my yard and dug down 6 inches ready to pour in a concrete mix. The question is what should my mix ratio be? I have been told different mixes by different people. Itís only a shed (heavy) and a bike Ė So I donít think the mix needs to be that tough??
Metal Shed weight and dims here for info.

Any help would be great. I have 3 weeks to do this before it's delivered, not time to panic yet....
Cheers

Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-10, 04:29 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
You need to form up the sides with 2x6's. Don't forget to extend the front so you will have a good clean LZ for the cycle before you back it in. Good for washing it down, letting it cool, etc. without leaving it on the dirt. So in essence, your pad should extend the length+ of the cycle. Now, that is if you want that. You will at least need enough for the front ramp flap to rest.
As far as the mix, you can use sackrete and a mixer, and not have to worry about mixing gravel, sand, concrete. BUT, you will be using almost a yard (.83) for the size of the shed, so I would see if you could get it delivered. Check access first.
To determine how much concrete you need you can use this as a reference: Concrete Calculator, Prices and Pouring Information - The Concrete Network

Old 10-26-10, 08:35 AM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I agree with Chandler about getting the concrete delivered. It will cost a bit more, but you'll save in time and labor. Check the phone book for a company that delivers small orders.

I would put down a gravel base and pour a 4" slab. A slab that thick is probably overkill for your project but you won't have to be concerned about it failing. I would also add remesh to the slab.

BTW - That's a very pricey shed.