Arbor Brace

Old 11-13-10, 02:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Arbor Brace

I realized I was way too wordy/confusing, so here is a picture of the question that is probably easier =D

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This may be a bit generic, so not sure if this post would go elsewhere, but as it pertains to my grape arbor I will post here for the time being.

My father had built a small arbor, though not like our previous one ('standard' type). Instead, this one is simply 3 Ts with a pole down the middle. With age and weight, it is now leaning to one side. I was thinking a brace would work to help support it (as it looks like the top has already been drilled full of holes, so putting a new bolt in doesn't look like an option).

Admittedly I haven't done much in the way of carpentry/woodwork, so I am a bit confused on what to do exactly. The Ts aren't built with one horizontal board on top and the vertical below, but rather the horizontal board is bolted at the top, behind the vertical one. (Overlapping as opposed to stacked)

My guess would be to cut two boards at 45 degrees, but that is where I was a bit confused. If I screwed the boards into the vertical board, then it would be under the horizontal one. How would I go about securing it to the top plank? I can only see how I could get a single screw in the end, as it would be too thick farther back. And would this even hold it upright, or should something else entirely?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-10, 06:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ok, guess I was making it harder than it had to be. Figured it out. =P Thanks.

Old 11-17-10, 04:35 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I was trying to figure out what you were doing, since you didn't say. I presume this is for grapes or the like. Drilling upward into the cross member is fine. Use 3" decking screws, not sheetrock screws. As far as keeping them vertical in the long direction, stretch #12 wire over the top of the ends of your cross members and tack them down with staples. Then allow the ends of the wire to extend off the ends and use a ground auger on either end slanted away from the arbor to tie the wire. One end should have a fence take up coil ratchet so you can keep them taut.