Replacing existing sunroom - in stages?

Old 12-29-00, 04:57 PM
Nagoy
Visiting Guest
Hi. This appears to be a common Q on this group, but I have a (slightly) different angle on it.

The house I bought this year has an old (20 years+?) sunroom built on the approx 2" concrete patio slabs - so not really a foundation. Its enclosed by a low brick surround, with the screen windows on these, and the roof and framing appears to be aluminium (sorry, English spelling - I'm a Brit in CA). The roof is made up of slats, so rather drafty. And since the floor is basically the outside patio, the all-weather carpet thats in there has damp stains on it from water trickling in.

So I'd like to replace it with a modern weather proof enclosure at some point.

However, I'd like to do something with the floor sooner than that (attach a sill, raise it with beams, cover it with board and ceramic tile or pavers or something) and make some sort dam to drain water away rather than into. I'm sure theres nothing wrong with this, it seems a lot like adding a deck on top of a concrete patio. BUT, I have a full size slate pool table still sitting at my last house which is waiting for its new home - in this room (and apparently its going to cost about $400 to move it, so I only want to do that once!!!).

Is th floor a reasonable project to undertake (and leave the rest of the sunroom til I have the $'s to get a pro), and would there need to be any inspections for this sort of thing?

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

Old 12-31-00, 06:34 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I think you would be better off making the roof water tight first, then dealing with the floor. The $400 moving expense for the pool table is an issue, and there are probably some time constraints involved with that too. But if the roof is leaking now, it will continue to leak after the pool table is in place. Are you sure you want water on the pool table?

Old 12-31-00, 03:16 PM
Nagoy
Visiting Guest
(sorry, I think I replied as a new thread with no subject - probably completely lost!).

Umm, the roof is drafty but not leaking. Its the doorways that are level with the outside that let water trickle inside in heavy rain - infrequent, but the stains show it has happened.

Still, the roof would have to be done at some point and having a full-size pool table in the way might be a bit of a hindrance....It would probably mean having to replace the screens at the same time too, though.

(Timing is less of an issue than my impatience - the table is currently being (ab)used by my friends at my last house!)

So I also wanted to know if a sub-floor on a concrete patio would be supportive of a full size pool-table. Instinctively I think its Ok, but didn't know if I'd have to check with the local building authority or something.

Also, is this sort of project a DIY one, or should it be left to a pro (I know the roof especially is an important task to get spot on). I don't necessarily want the room to be an addition (as I originally wanted), thats a whole new set of issues and $$$'s. But I did want it sealed in from the elements, but with enough opening screens so it qualifies correctly (is that right?).

Thanks again, and a Happy New Year....

Old 12-31-00, 09:41 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Nagoy, I think you are on pretty much the right track with this. If the only place you have water leaks are at the doors, I'm going to guess that those doors swing INTO the room. In these types of rooms, it is difficult to impossible to keep in-swing doors from leaking when they are hit with wind driven rain. That's why I always try to talk our customers into having the doors swing out. I can seal those. E-mail me directly (duckadam@c-zone.net) and I will try to put you in touch with a contractor who can look at your room and give you some guidance. Happy New Year!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: