Metal Arrow shed roof repair

Old 06-25-11, 04:46 PM
Metal Arrow shed roof repair

My arrow shed was a kit. In the kit they included a tape to place over the ridge of the shed before you install the top trim piece. Well now a few years down the road that tape is leaking. No big mystery why but my question is how is the best way to repair the roof now.
Do I remove the bolts and nuts holding the trim in place and then seal the ridge with caulking or something else? Or maybe spray foam under the trim piece still in place then a caulk after that has dried?
All work will have to be done from the outside as there are 2 beam type trusses running down the middle of the roof on the inside making it nearly impossible to even see the ridge gap must less get to it. Unless I just shoot the spray foam to it and hope for the best.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-11, 07:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Ben, if it is a metal shed roof, you could probably go to a metal roofing place and buy a 10' section of ridge to cover over the gap, if any, on it. It will hang over the ridge far enough to prevent water from getting under it and creating a leak. Hope I am on the right track. If not, let me know.

Old 06-25-11, 08:10 PM
Group Moderator
They make an adhesive foil for roof repairs. It comes in rolls. Quick Roof 3" x 25' Aluminum Water Proof Roof Repair - Roof Repair & Coating - RV Maintenance My example is only 3" but it comes in wider widths. I would suggest at least 6".

Old 06-26-11, 06:51 PM
Chandler I thought of that also but the steel rafters (if I can call them that) are set too far apart to support more than the 2 inch wide trim piece they now have on the roof. I would be screwing into the metal roofing only to attach a ridge vent and I am afraid any big windstorm would just rip it off the roof. The metal is only about as thick as the metal siding on an older mobile home. You know, the kind you can cut with a razor knife, or just start a place and the rip it with no problem!! Really thin!! I let a shovel slip inside the shed and it left a dent when it hit the sidewall!

Ray that sounds like it might work and like I stated above the trim on the top is only 2 inch wide now. So maybe the 3 inch would not look too bad. Anything wider than that would really show!
ARROW is the brand name of this shed. It is 8 x 10. and after installing on the decking floor I built the side walls are only 6 foot tall. Bought it at Lowe's a few year back.
Thank you both for your thoughts and ideas.

Old 06-26-11, 10:07 PM
Check out what's available for a ridge cap for metal roofing from a local metal roofing supplier or a well stocked lumber yard. I built a shed about 20 years ago and put corregated metal roofing on it. The ridge cap I used was about 12" to 14" wide overall. It had a roll in the center that was about the diameter of 1-1/2" pipe, and extended down each side about 4" or 5" from that. It came in 10' lengths. Use self-drilling screws to attach it directoly to your roof, and seal the screw heads.

Old 06-27-11, 03:36 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Ben, you could run either metal strips or 2x2's the length of the ridge on the inside while someone screwed through the ridge, then into the roof, and holding it in the wood or metal you add. Gives it rigidity and holds the screws.