AC Sound Blocker

Old 09-06-11, 01:07 PM
AC Sound Blocker

Ok so I posted this in the gardening section as well and recieved no help.Im getting ready to build an enclosure of sorts around my AC unit b/c its right next to my lanai and is very loud. I plan on using 4x4's about 2 feet or more away from the unit with lattice going between the posts and them planting some vine at the base. I'm really wondering if this is okay or am I going down a really bad path. Oh and I was planning on it being about 6 feet tall. There will also be a 2 foot opening near the house for a service man to enter on one side but the other side the lattice will continue to the house. Can I do this or will it cause more problems than its worth?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-11, 05:40 AM
AC Unit

The unit needs to have adequate air circulation in order to function properly.

Old 09-07-11, 09:56 AM
Should I give it more room between the lattice and the unit? Or just go with tall bushes?

Old 09-07-11, 10:40 AM
Group Moderator
I really don't think lattice is going to make much difference. I'd try for a solid structure between the unit and the deck if you can do that without hampering ventilation for the unit.

Old 09-08-11, 09:33 AM
Theres only about 5 feet between the ac unit and the lanai. But the ac unit is in the middle of a flower garden. Which is why I was thinking a lattice thing would look nice and do good with the sound once some vine plants grew thick enough on the lattice.

Old 09-08-11, 09:45 AM
Group Moderator
I can certainly see lattice and vines looking nice but I still don't think it will block the noise all that well - I'd want something solid to reflect the sound away. That said, it very well might reduce the noise enough to satisfy you.

Your first post was a little unclear, I would only put something on the side of the unit by the deck, I'd leave the rest open to allow the sound to dissipate in those directions.

Old 09-10-11, 04:55 PM
sounds good thanks for the advice. Will post some pics when I start destruction and the rebuild.

Old 09-10-11, 06:05 PM
Group Moderator
Around here some people put the condenser on the back fence line. That might do the best job depending on how far back your yard goes. Of course no frost line here to worry about when burying lines. Might be a problem up north.

Old 09-24-11, 07:58 AM
A/C sound barrier

I have the same issue - a/c too close to enclosed patio. I had planned on putting up some kind of panel just on the one side that's closest to the patio. I agree about the lattice not blocking the sound, although it would be attractive.

Just to see how much it would help, I set up a 4' x 4' piece of mdf and it helps tremendously! So now I'm looking for suggestions about what to use that would be both attractive and inexpensive. I'd thought about a vinyl gate that is used with the vinyl privacy fencing, but that's just more money than I want to spend. I also thought of building a brick wall with faux bricks, but haven't checked the pricing on that and assume it would be a little too pricey as well!

I'm afraid to dig deep holes due to buried wiring and underground sprinkler system. I can't go any wider than 4' - and 6' high would be the max - prefer 4 or 5'. I'm pretty creative/frugal when it comes to creating such things, but this one has me stumped! Anyone have a good idea?

P.S. It has to be something my HOA isn't going to get too upset about :NO NO NO: - although, for those of you familiar with HOA's, it doesn't take much to upset them!! ha!

Thanks for any suggestions.

Micha