Leveling land for Shed

Old 10-13-11, 08:58 AM
Leveling land for Shed

We are purchasing a 10x12 resin shed for our backyard and the land is not completely level. We've heard to use either a concrete pad (a bit expensive!) or patio stones. What are your thoughts on using a loose stone/sand mixture to level the land? We live in Upstate NY (harsh winters) but we're not in a flood zone.

Any ideas would be welcomed!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-11, 09:14 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

A loose sand/stone foundation sounds problematic but something compactible seems like it would be a good choice.

Does the shed have a floor?

Old 10-13-11, 09:33 AM
Thank you for your reply! Yes, the shed comes with a resin floor. I was just told that maybe using a roto-tiller to carve out the space and make it level, then putting loose stone (no sand) down would be a good start. Then put cement blocks under the stress pionts would allow for air flow. Does this sound feasible?

Old 10-13-11, 09:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I know a wood floor needs air circulation under it to keep it from rotting, I don't know about a resin floor. Doesn't the manufacture have any specs for getting the site ready?

Old 10-13-11, 09:54 AM
Group Moderator
How strong is the resin floor? Does it need continuous support?

Loose stone or gravel is typically fine with the structure actually supported by blocks, I just didn't see any reference to the blocks in your original post. As long as the floor doesn't need continuous support, I think your plan is fine on a general level. That said, I think Mark nailed it with the question about whether the manufacturer includes any specs for this.

Old 10-13-11, 11:42 AM
Shed Foundation

Here is one manufacturer's recommendation; page 8 of the manual:

http://www.storageshedsonsale.com/ma...64026ad09d9b6e

Old 10-13-11, 02:11 PM
Group Moderator
According to your reference you need to build a wood platform to set it on if you don't use a concrete slab. I would interpret that as a wood floor on blocks or piers.