Need help with a shed for a water well

Old 10-20-11, 11:15 PM
Need help with a shed for a water well

I am trying to get information to build a simple shed to provide some protection from cold for my water well. I have been thinking about building a simple
8 x 8 shed with a slanted roof. I am not looking to build the Taj Mahal just something that will hopefully keep the well from freezing in the winter. I live in Cleveland, Texas so our winters are not particularly brutal but my neighbor told me that their well froze last winter and we should build some type of protection. I just moved to the property this August. I have no building experience so I am hoping to build as simple a design as I can. I figure a slant roof was the best way to go but I have no idea how to get started. A friend will be helping and has built decks and shed kits but not a shed from scratch and does not have roofing experience.

I am thinking about building the walls with 10' posts on the two corner and 12' post on the other two, sinking the posts two feet into the ground. The heights would then be 8' and 10' respectively. I originally thought about building (3) 8 x 8 walls and (1) 10 x 10 wall but I am not really sure how to handle that angle between the walls. I am not concerned with making it water tight as it is just to basically provide some insulation from the wind and cold. I would be using either metal sheeting or Ondura type of roofing material to cover. The building would not be used to store anything but simply to provide a buffer from the cold for the water well. I will also not be installing a floor and may need to disassemble if repairs are needed for the well. My neighbor installed a kit over his, but I am trying to save some of the costs by building it myself.

Any advice, tips or help would be greatly appreciated. Also please be explicit in explaining any help as I don't really know what the words mean when talking about rafters, knee boards, etc. I know they have something to do with wood and framing but don't really understand which piece you are talking about if you use construction vocab. I will continue to research and hopefully get a grip on the vocab. Sorry in advance to be such a pain.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-11, 10:01 AM
You forgot to mention one important part--your shed needs to have some insulation, and an electrical outlet (and possibly, a switched light) to plug in a heat source for the occasional cold spell that comes your way. I have heat tape wrapped around all exposed piping, controlled by a thermostat that kicks on at 38 degrees F., all covered with pipe insulation. I don't understand why you want to make yours so large or tall, either, if you don't plan to store things in it. The flimsy metal thing that covers our well is 5' by 7', with a 7' tall ceiling.

If I were building one from scratch, I'd frame it with 2 x 4s, use pre-primed plywood (T-111) sheathing, and set the walls on loose-laid concrete blocks setting on 4" of compacted gravel. For a roof pitch less than 2-in-12, I'd use roll roofing; steeper, and shingles would work. I'd bolt the walls and roof together, such that things could be taken apart without destroying them should a well driller need to access the area for repair or additional drilling. And install rigid foam insulation in the walls and ceiling to keep the cold out, and heat in.

Old 10-24-11, 12:03 AM
Thanks for the tips. We need it tall because the well is about 84 inches tall at the center. The extra room was to allow access if needed. Great idea about the insulation. I knew I needed something but wasn't sure what.

Old 10-24-11, 04:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Depending on weather conditions, you might not need insulation but it wouldn't hurt. Was the neighbor's well head protected when it froze? I had a well in central fla and I built a shed around it.... but the shed was also used for storage, workbench, etc. The bldg wan't insulated and although I had the pipes freeze under the house once, the well tank and pump never froze. BridgeMan makes a great point about possibly needing access to the well. Is your pump above ground? or in the well casing?