Shed Revamp, Door Ideas

Old 04-22-12, 06:11 AM
Smile Shed Revamp, Door Ideas

Hi,

There's an old shed on our property that I've decided to fix up a bit. It has corrugated plastic roofing that badly needs repair or replacing, holes in the walls and is missing a door. I've found that I can buy replacement roofing at Home Depot, and plan on doing that.. but I'm stuck on the door. I've thought of looking on Craigslist for an old door to simply affix to the shed, but I would think that building a simple shed door would be more efficient.

How can I build a simple shed door? Or, do you think it may be better to purchase an old door and figure out a way to attach it to the shed?

One other question; I would like to put a small window for light. Think I can just cut a square and screw a piece of plexy glass to it? Or should I consider finding an old window to try and add to the shed?

I'm hoping to eventually end up with something similar to this

Thanks in advance.. I know I'm a serious newbie!

Jenna

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-12, 06:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums Jenna!

How serious are you about making your shed look like the 2nd one? That would take a bit of work including framing up a new roof.

Those plastic roof panels typically don't last a long time, I'd opt to use metal roofing instead. If you want an opening window - it would be best to find an old working window to use. If it's just for letting in light, then any piece of glass/plexiglass would work. If the window won't fit between the studs you'll need to adjust the framing including the addition of a header.

The cheapest way to make a door would be to use a piece of plywood cut to fit and add 1xs to stiffen it up and give the hinges and hasp something to bite into.

Old 04-25-12, 01:43 AM
Hi, maybe it would help to look at the more serious projects...You can get the idea by looking at something similar at the
Teds Woodworking® - 16,000 Woodworking Plans & Projects With Videos - Custom Woodworking Carpentry - Wood Plans.
I think that if you have time it is better to build the door and the window the way you like it and have some fun with it.
I like the last photo very much. Hope you'll end up with something like that...