Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Greenhouses, Sheds and Sun Rooms
Reload this Page >

A weird question - how to nudge a shed slightly

Old 05-25-12, 12:06 PM

OK, so I had a 10x12 shed installed yesterday. The position looked OK and I signed-off on the installation and placement. Upon further inspection, I can see that it's not quite square with the gravel platform frame or the surrounding walls. It's off by less than in inch, but this will affect the ramp and anything else in the backyard related to the shed alignment. I don't want to call the shed company to ask them, as I already signed off on it and anyway they would say it's "close enough".

I tend to be picky about such things, so I'd like to square it up if I can.

So, I'd like to nudge one side over a bit to square it up. Got any simple ways to do this? It's on two large skids that set on gravel base. The gravel is packed, very flat and level, and the shed hasn't settled into the gravel, so I should be able to rotate it a tiny bit.

One idea I had was to to use a tow strap attached to the tow hook on my car and use a come-along to pull the shed over. I'd just set the parking brake on the car and ratchet the come-along until the shed moves. I'd use a 8000lb strap and come-along to be safe.

Does anyone know how much a typical wooden 10x12 shed weighs? It's empty.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-12, 12:24 PM
Group Moderator
You might be able to put your back to the shed and push it over using your legs.
Another option is place a 4x4 block on the ground, stick a prying tool under the edge of the shed (pipe, 2x4, 4x4 post, etc) and just lever it over.

The come-a-long might work too but do you have anything to attach the hook to on the shed?

Just guessing, the empty shed likely weighs close to 1900lbs depending how it is built. However, lifting up one end should be fairly easy to do with a lever.

Old 05-25-12, 12:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you do pull, you'll need to use a board or something to distribute the pull over a large enough area so you don't do any damage. I like Tolyn Ironhand's idea of using a big pry bar to inch it over

Old 05-25-12, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the ideas. I hadn't thought of the lever idea yet. The shed is about 24 inches from a wall so I don't know if I would have enough room to use a big lever. However ...

Your idea if just levering or shouldering it made be think. If it's that easy to nudge it, I could maybe push it with a small hydraulic jack, or big lever. There's a block wall with a fairly hefty footing, about 2 feet from the long side of the shed. The shed is on two skids, each made from three 2x6 treated boards sandwiched together. The skids go with the long dimension of the shed (12 ft), and are about 6' 6" apart. I could put the jack or lever between the footing and the side of the near skid, right near the end. I would also put a 2x4 between the skids so the force would be applied to both the sides of both skids, near the ends. I would worry about damaging the footing, but the border of the gravel base is cemented to the footing, so I would see even the smallest movement of the footing before anything bad happened.

For the come-along idea I would put a snug 2x4 between the ends of the skids as in the "pusher idea" above. I would drill a hole in the far skid and place a big eye bolt in it. The force would be applied to the far skid, but transferred to the near skid via the 2x4. My car weigh in at about 3000lbs. If the shed weighs 2000, it should move first.

I don't care if the shed rotates around it's center, or if just the side I'm forcing moves, as the amount of movement is small and I just want to square it up.

Old 05-26-12, 03:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
My car weigh in at about 3000lbs. If the shed weighs 2000, it should move first.
True, but it isn't just about weight. Rolling resistance [or whatever you'd call it] also plays a part. The hydraulic jack should work - just keep your eyes open while jacking.

Old 05-26-12, 04:46 AM
Moving Shed

Lift the shed with a pry bar as suggested above and move the long end(outside end) sideways to move the shed. If you do not lift first, the skids will "dig in" to the gravel.

Old 05-26-12, 08:01 AM
Thanks for the tips. I'm going out of town this weekend but I hope to get on this task on Tuesday or Wednesday. Meanwhile any other ideas are welcome.

BTW, I can't find a tow hook on my car, so if I try the come-along idea I may borrow a friend's truck with a hitch. That weighs a bit more too. However, the jack idea (pushing) is attractive as I don't have to worry about attaching anything to the skid. I could probably apply some pressure with the jack and lift the end with a bar to allow it to move easier. Like I mentioned, I'm not moving it much.

Old 05-26-12, 08:17 AM
Group Moderator
Wirepuller hit on this a bit already but I wanted to be a little more clear. You will put the lever on the end of the shed that is 90 degrees to the side you want to move.
Put the lever on the bottom.
pull/push down to lift it up, and then rotate the handle towards or away from you kind of like you are rowing a boat.
With each "row" you should be able you inch it along on the end.

Old 05-27-12, 06:51 AM
Lever

Thanks, Tolyn for clarifying my post.

It's off by less than in inch
I am thinking one nudge will do it.

Old 05-31-12, 10:06 AM
Success!

I decided to try the hydraulic jack idea. The gravel is really flat and the skids are sitting on top, so I wasn't too worried about the skid digging into the gravel. I talked to a builder friend of mine who said there was no way that wall footing was going to move. And, I didn't have anything to use for a big lever.

So, I put some wood blocks against the footing and put the jack against the end of the skid. I also put a 2x4 cut to fit exactly between the skids so the force would be on the ends of both skids. I did several small pushes with the jack so I could make sure I would not go too far on that side. It was actually easy, and it's really straight now.

I'll see if I can post a pic later today.

Before I started I noticed that one of the skids is not exactly straight (vertically), like it's leaning a little bit. I know it's such a small amount it doesn't matter, but if anyone has any ideas how to straighten it, I try it. It's not off by much, but my keen eyes noticed things like that. The skid is not twisted, so it's off for the entire length of the skid. I know, I have OCD, sorry. How about some sort of metal brackets? That would also serve to strengthen the shed base.

Old 05-31-12, 11:03 AM
Shed skid braces

Referring to my last post, how about these for skid braces?

Everbilt #15446

I would use bigger screws, of course.

4 in. Zinc Plated Heavy Duty Corner Braces (2-Pack)-15446 at The Home Depot

Attached Images  
Old 05-31-12, 03:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Was skid crooked before you pushed against it?
As long as the shed is sitting straight, level and feels solid - I wouldn't worry too much

Old 05-31-12, 04:12 PM
I noticed it before I pushed on it, and I watched it carefully to see if it was gonna change any. It didn't. I wouldn't have even noticed it if I wasn't down there putting in the blocks and jack.

I know it probably doesn't matter, but like I said, I have a keen eye for such things. And, sometimes I worry about things that don't matter.

Old 06-04-12, 09:21 AM
Fixed!

I fixed it by using the hydraulic jack with a 2x4 pushing against the bottom of the skid, first at one end, then the middle, then the other end. I pushed just enough to straighten the skid but not move the shed, and checked the skid frequently with a level.

Like I said, it wasn't off by much, but it's really straight now.