Bank Barn Style ramp for our shed

Old 06-04-12, 10:46 AM
Bank Barn Style ramp for our shed

We need a ramp for the one doorway for our shed. Instead of constructing a wood ramp we would like to fashion a bank barn style ramp with stone on the sides and earth (with grass) ramping up to the door elevation.

I know it would not be good to have the earth in direct contact with the treated wood so I was going to build a stone wall in front of the wood to buffer the earth from the wood and allow airflow to continue.

Does anyone else have any better suggestions or comments on my plans?

Thanks.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-12, 03:05 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I would only consider the stability of a rock ramp. I'd hate for it to collapse while you are driving your John Deere up it into the shed. Do you have a contingency for such stability? Otherwise, put some typar on the front ledge so the wood can breathe and water won't soak into it, then start your rock stack.

Old 06-05-12, 04:22 AM
We will not be driving any tractors up this ramp. Just the push lawn mower and foot traffic. My plan for stability was just the compacted earth with retaining walls on both sides. I wanted to make it look like the photo below just on a much smaller scale.

Attached Images  
Old 06-05-12, 03:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I see. I would do as they did in the nice barn and make your walls at a slight angle, then do your backfill, tamping it down as you go. Top layer of topsoil, then reseed it. but do something against the wood wall, like I suggested earlier, by using typar or another barrier.