shed on hill/flat low area

Old 07-13-12, 05:42 AM

I got a shed to build in the next few weeks, and have two likely spots. One is a sunny hillside where the shed door is going to have to be about 15" above grade to deal with a slope. The alternative is the other side of the lot in a low shady area that is nearly perfectly flat, but it is about 10-15' below grade of the rest of the property. The first site is the high point of the property that is always dry. The second spot is loaded with creeping charlie, but I don't recall ever seeing any standing water down there. Which spot would you pick. The hillside slope is my preferred spot, but the slope is more than I thought when I started laying out the 4X4s.
TIA!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-12, 05:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Have you considered digging it out, pouring a footer and using block to get the walls above grade?

Old 07-13-12, 10:44 AM

No. I really didn't want to dig it out that much. It is an 8X12 shed...one end will be on one course of 2" blocks, then to get it level, the other end would be up on three courses of 2" blocks...and on top of that go the 4X4 skid rails, then the 2X6 joists, and then the 3/4" plywood...just getting kind of high up on the one end and was worried it might be so high up the ramp would have to extend half-way out in the yard....the flat low spot seems the simple solution, but didn't want to be down in a hole like that (even though the neighbor's back yard drops down even lower)

Thanks for the advice! Most appreciated.

Old 07-13-12, 03:06 PM
I think I'll go with the flat low spot...seems easiest route to take...
thanks for the advice marksr...